Insulation tape around lighting junction boxes in the loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me why after replacing some wiring for the bedroom lighting in our loft that the electrician has wrapped brown insulation tape around the junction box and to the wires running to the next light fitting

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
It’s not a recommended installation method. Smells like Cowboy Spirit!

further, that sticky PVC tape is in no way “insulating”.
Even further, after a summer of steaming temperatures in the loft, the sticky will melt off.

I didnt know electricians even had insulation tape in their toolkit these days.

Does it ever get damp up there? Maybe to stop condensation getting into to the junction boxes?
#justguessing

oh go on - show us a picture... we love those... :)

Some of the old round jbs if the lid was put on wrong it left a slot open in the side, and he may have taped over it, as for the cable it may be his way of identifying the supply cables from the switch lines.

It’s really heartwarming that you think the best of people!
Sorry, he broke the JB and just taped it up rather than squander a couple of quid on a new one!

Some of the old round jbs if the lid was put on wrong it left a slot open in the side, and he may have taped over it, as for the cable it may be his way of identifying the supply cables from the switch lines.
I worked on a system where every end of every cable had coloured tape markings, I don't recall detail but something like:
Ring 1 brown,
Ring 2 red,
lights up orange switch drops yellow,
lights down green switch drops blue.
Etc
After working out the system it did make it easy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back