Junction box in plastered walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a socket that I need to move about 2 feet. I was hoping to use the knock out where the existing socket was to put a junction box and then extend the ringmain to where I want it.

What should I use as a junction box that is safe for being plastered over? Are there special metal clad ones I can used?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Not sure that it's a good idea to end up with a junction box that's buried in plaster - not because of the risks to it, but because it would then be fairly inaccessible. Which may be a regulatory issue regarding inspections - I don't know, but others here will.

Can't you just put a blanking plate over it?

Or put the junction box under the floor?

Also, re joining the cable in the first place - much better if at all possible to replace the length that comes from the previous socket so that you have no joins.

Also, re joining the cable in the first place - much better if at all possible to replace the length that comes from the previous socket so that you have no joins.

100% agree.......if you can.....otherwise:

Can't you just put a blanking plate over it?

leave the socket box in, join the conductors using crimps / connector blocks and put the plate over...

Dont put the JB in the wall....and you shouldn't really be using JB's under the floor aswell....then need to be accessible (Regulation Thing)...but this is a DIY job and my eyes are looking the other way ;)

Is there a definition of "accessible"? You don't tend to see may JBs fixed to the walls, in my limited experience they are nearly always hidden away somewhere.

Where, according to the regulations, should you put JBs?

Sponsored Links
Anywhere accessible for inspection / maintenance / testing (ie, loft areas / on-top of kitchen units etc etc). The regulations say something like " all joints should be accessible unless compound filled / welding / or compression tool " so if you were to crimp the conductors within the JB would this satisfy the regulations :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back