Junction Boxes On Ring Main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon everyone,

I'm planning on doing some re-decorating and in the process would like to move some sockets. Rather than have the ring main in the back of the sockets, is it acceptable to use 30amp junction boxes and effectively spur the socket (as in the diagram)? Would make the job a little easier. Load on the sockets are protected with max 13amp plugtops.

If it is possible, is there a max number of junction boxes can be added.

Thanks

Attachments

• Drawing1.jpg
    Drawing1.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 204
Sponsored Links
Junction boxes will not be buried in the wall. The plan was to install loft boarding over the top tho, so would this count as accessible by the fact the loft board could be easily unscrewed & lifted ?

I'll be renovating room by room, so doing the entire ring main in one hit is probably too much unfortunately. The idea behind the junction boxes is to keep the ring main below the loft board (floor) level and just run a single cable to each socket at the new location. Basically it's a plasterboard stud walled bedroom with the ring main in the eaves (running the length of the house on both sides, so access to both sides of room)

Junction boxes will not be buried in the wall. The plan was to install loft boarding over the top tho, so would this count as accessible by the fact the loft board could be easily unscrewed & lifted ?
Well, I would say not really - but that is what the MF ones are for so would be alright.

Many bungalows have the ring in the loft with all the sockets as spurs from JBs.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back