Just done a mist coat on new plaster - few problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I stripped the whole bedroom and removed all the plaster back to the sand cement scratch coat and had the whole room plastered.

It has been left around 2 weeks or so and i have finished the mist coat (Dulux Trade Vinyl Matt white mixed 50/50 water). Generally speaking all has gone well but as this is my first time there are some questions i have to possible problems

first one is that in random places over the walls the paint has left patches where it dont seem to take/cover well:

I have tried to scratch with my finger nail over these patches and thankfully the pain is adhered properly as it isnt coming off (even with a firm pressure).

Do i need to worry about this or when i come to paint the next 2 layers of emulsion (not mixed with water) will it cover as expected and leave no marks?

In addition it would appear that there are random drip spills of PVA in some places which again leave a darker mark when painted on. Do i need to do anything with these or again will the 2 top coats cover these?

I understand that it is best to give the mist coat a quick rub down with sand paper before apply the colour top coat. What grade of sand paper should i used to do this? i understand it shouldn't be too fine to make the pain shine but not to coarse to scratch the plaster...

Finally there is 1 section in the corner of the window seal where the scratch coat came away with the plaster revealing the render. This was filled with cement mix then plastered over. To be fair i think this was done towards the end so may only be 7 days or so since it was plastered but i noticed a dark patch in the paint. When i scratched the paint came away with ease. I understand that this could be because the cement/plaster was not 100% dry before plastering. I have scratched all paint away with a scraper and sand paper to let it fully dry out before i paint again

My only worry is that due to the rain on the weekend this section of the wall could be damp? Hopefully it is simply a matter of waiting a few weeks to let the cement and plaster dry out though...

cheers,

Mike

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back