HELP PLS! - Mist not sinking in

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

painted a mist coat on my plaster and it didn't sink in and I can scrap it off and the plaster is same colour as it was before I painted it!

The plaster in dry and I used Matt emulsion watered down to a slighty thicker than milk consistency.

What should I do:

1) Leave it to dry and paint on it?
2) Sponge it off walls now and let plaster dry and then wash down again, let dry and then try again with a thinner mist?
3) Do 2) but as plaster could be over trowled so sand it a bit before misting?

Want to do this tonight if possible.

Thanks all - Tom

Sponsored Links
Sounds way to thin, only needs 25-30% dilution. Zinsser gardz is your best bet as it will bind down the first mist coat.
Probably caused by over trowelling as you say

Hi - the paint was very thick and I used about 60% water and 40% paint. It didn't run down the walls when I rollered it on and was about the consistency of thick hot chocolate.

Are you able to scrape a mist coat off a wall?

Tom, what make paint? 60%added water is a lot. That really would be a mist coat.
A milk consistency/ hot chocolate?,yep thin.

dcdec,
Over trowelling ? wheres that from, a P.M.?

Sponsored Links
Hi - the paint is Dulux Brilliant White Matt emulsion and was very thick and gloopy, it just blobbed out and didn't pour.

The over trowling is just what I have read on line. I plastered it myself and didn't polish it much at all. It was the second time I have plastered but did a very good job. I filled a couple of small bits and scrapped excess filler off when dry.

What I didn't do was wash the wall before applying the mist but I can't see that making any difference.

Its' the first time I have misted and was expecting it to be noticabely sucked into the plaster. I did go over what I rolled 2-3 times when applied.

See pics of both walls.

Libby he mentioned the over trowelling in his post.

60% is too much, i would have thought the paint binders would have broken down but TBH not quite sure of the effect this would have (as never done it)

No need to wash down new plaster before painting
Like i said it needs a coat of gardz

Sounds like you used too much PVA when plastering.

Gardz is the way.

BTW - I thought managing Elvis all those years would have made you a few bob.

Just looked at the pictures, the pink of the plaster will show through because you heavily thinned it, there's a delivered amount of pigment per litre so that pigment is now spread through 60% more paint than it was designed for so it will lose its integrity. This isn't necessarily a problem because your not going for coverage as your misting it, just thought i'd explain.

Go with the gardz, i've just done a ceiling where the existing paint started peeling off because it hadn't had a sealer coat, applied the gardz and it was fine. Also worth bearing in mind that the plaster will only draw in so much water, so with it so heavily thinned the paint film is weak and i reckon this would cause adhesion problems

Thank you all for the advice I have now ordered 5l's of Zinsser Gard.

I managed Elvis a long time ago and the money ran out then too so I now have to do all my DIY myself! The only thing I haven't done yet is brick laying but I'll leave the extension to a brickie and I'll do the garden walls.

I applied 2 coats of PVA after the 1st skim for the 2nd skim but will in future only do 1 and water down the paint correctly.

Thanks again all.

Tom,

You have made the right choice regarding the Gardz and it will serve you well, bye the way i've heard mention that Elvis is working in a chip shop in Swansea ;)

Good luck fella

Dec

Sorry Dec but he's a lifeguard at our local pool.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back