Mist coat - did I do wrong?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a room skimmed (part re-skimmed onto old plaster, part boarded and skimmed) and I'm having trouble with painting.

It's been 4 weeks and I'm convinced the plaster is completely dry. I did a mist coat of approx 60/40 using Leyland white matt emulsion. It dried to the touch almost instantly. I gave a second mist coat of the same ratio, again dried instantly.

24 hours later the paint just wipes off with a damp cloth.

Is this to be expected? Will a normal coat be ok now or do I need to do something else?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
New emulsion will come off with a damp cloth.

Why are you using a damp cloth?

You need to touch up the bare plaster with mist coat.

You should be then able to put the normal coat(s) on when that's dry.

If you are concerned about the mist coat, just try a tiny bit of normal emulsion in a corner somewhere, leave it overnight, and see if it it dries nice and firm.

No damp cloths yet though.

Thanks. That's reassuring.

Why are you using a damp cloth?

Was drilling holes for various fixtures. Went to wipe the brick dust away and the mist coat came off with it!

Don't use a damp cloth on it.
Was it Leyland contract paint or aeyland vinyl Matt? Always use a non vinyl for the mist coat.
Did the plasterer bond the old plaster before putting the new plaster on?.
In all honesty it's 99% because you wiped the mist coat off. This coat is a breathable coat which is only finished when the top coats are put on.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back