Just to clear this up - Dulux Rich Matt on skimmed walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First off apologies for bring this up again and please feel free to insult me (a little) if you reply to this thread.

I've got a room which about 10 days ago was skimmed. It's pretty much dry - even pink look to walls. However, I'll be leaving it a few more days to be sure.

I'd bought Dulux Rich Matt for use on the walls and was going to mistcoat it with this @ approx 20% water as an undercoat. However, I've just read on here that this particular paint is totally unsuitable for newly plastered walls - despite the fact that my local Brewers says it's fine.

Now I trust Brewers but this forum has been invaluable to me and DIY/repairs work so I'm likely to trust this overall.

So which is it? Suitable or not?

Plus, if not, are my choices as follows:
1 Dulux super matt - non vinyl so won't matter if there's still some moisture in the wall? Downside is I want a vinyl finish so it can be wiped rather than the 'chalky' finish this allegedly provides.

2 Dulux trade matt - watered down @ ??% water as an undercoat. And then continue with 1 or 2 more coats as necessary

3 A combination of 1 and then perhaps a few weeks later can I finish off with a vinyl top later?

4 ????

Sorry again for what is an age-old question. But just getting confused about this Dulux Rich Matt stuff - which is ubiquitous at all the Sheds.

Thanks everyone. :oops:

Sponsored Links
Nothing I ask seems to elicit any replies any more.

Have I broken some cardinal rule or summat? I'm happy to be told.

well the answer you want should really come from a pro... Zamper... conf... a pro may be at work PAINTING.....unless you think they have laptops at tea break? only joking

some will say purchase a cheap as chips paint for the mist coat.... as what is the point....

Ill let them answer this though

Darren

Sponsored Links
Ok..im home..

Get the name right Darren...its 'Zampa' ;)

Rich matt really isnt for new plaster walls...ive never used it but ive heard the stories about the grief people have had with it.

Dulux super matt is very good..when they say 'chalky' dont worry...its not dusty...it wont rub off on your clothes its just softer and as you have said...will come off with a wet sponge.

Id go for your last option..mist coat wth supermatt then a second coat, aso thinned by about 20%...leave it for a few months and then re-caot with vinyl matt...but make sure you thin the first coat of v matt because the surface of the supermatt is porous

Third eye may also have an angle on this rich matt stuff..

Thanks a lot for that Zampa. Really appreciate it.

The world of paint feels terribly complex and a bit of a minefield to me at the mo'...

Dulux Rich Matt is NOT meant to be used on ANY unpainted porous surfaces, PERIOD.

Yes, sure you can do it if you like but it is an major gamble as to whether there will be an short term, medium term or long term negative reaction by doing so !

I know of one person who used it on unpainted artex and it never dried where the ames taping was. Also, it started to flake.

Why do you think "fathertobe" there are sooooooo many problems with plaster walls in terms of paint adhesion etc !

Thanks RedEye - and others - i've been sitting here during my dinner reading your messages all over the web about 'rich matt'.

Ok. I'll be taking the rich matt back to the shed I bought it from. But for now, I need to sort this with the best option.

I think Zampa is right that the 'safest' would be Supermatt and then leaving it a few months until I can repaint with vinyl.

However, the missus rolled her eyes at that so d'ya reckon I could just go in with a Dulux contract emulsion @, say, 30% diluted onto the plaster? And then work my way up from there? Next coat maybe 15% etc.

As far as I can see, the Supermatt is only useful if I think the walls might still have moisture in them.

Grateful for this.

Supermatt..is there bog standard non vinyl contracty stuff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back