Dulux magic white rich matt on new skim

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I had artex in on my bathroom ceiling which i got a plasterer to remedy providing a nice smooth surface.

This was 2 weeks ago and it's perfectly dry now.

Can I just stick 2 coats of Dulux Magic White Rich Matt (goes on pink, dries white) on and be done or does it need plaster sealer etc first?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Please read the forum rules, don’t double post as it causes confusion & really isn’t necessary. ;)

This from Dulux:

'. Seal new, bare and porous surfaces, including previously unpainted patterned textured ceiling coatings, new buildings that have a plasterboard finish and wallcoverings that are suitable for painting (not vinyls or washables).

For best results, use Dulux Plaster Sealer.

This from Dulux:

'. Seal new, bare and porous surfaces, including previously unpainted patterned textured ceiling coatings, new buildings that have a plasterboard finish and wallcoverings that are suitable for painting (not vinyls or washables).

For best results, use Dulux Plaster Sealer.
Yes but they would say that wouldn't they; I don’t know but wonder how much "Dulux Plaster Sealer" costs! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Don't waste your money mate on the pink stuff.
B&Q have 10L of Crown Brilliant White Matt at the moment for £10.

First you need to seal the plaster with watered down paint use the above
paint mixed 50-50 with water and roller this on ONCE.
It will look crap but this is only a mist coat and will provide a perfect foundation for the next step

Once completely dry after around 4 hours

The second coat should be applied use the above paint watered down 80-20.
Roll this over once.

Once completely dry after around 4 hours

Final coat is non thinned paint and I normally do 2 coats.

The best tip I can give is use a quality roller and let all coats dry completely before applying the next coat.

Stand back and enjoy a nice cuppa.

Long time now but i used to be a painter and decorator (20 years ago),i worked on hundreds of jobs with new plaster,all we did was water down the first coat of emulsion,then paint and fill as normal,never any problems,don`t need any expensive sealers or gimmicky paints,just work in a methodical manner and you won`t miss any.

Planemad and Simonpolly hit the nail on the head.
Don't waste your money on the must use this and that products.

All I will add is that if this is a bathroom or kitchen I would use silk or semi silk paint for the final coat due to exposure to dampness.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back