just undercoat plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hate dot and dab because of the hollowness.
Need to get a load of backer boards up in bathroom.
I'm down to brick on all walls and they aren't even enough really, so need to make them lovely and flat.
I'm about to slap on hardwall, but can I screw my boards direct to that? any reason not to?
Of course it's an ideal opportunity to further improve my finish plastering...

Sponsored Links
Do you have any issues of dampness in the walls or excessive condensation?

Do you propose to use backer boards on all the walls? Its not necessary.

How high do you propose to tile - where?

Yes I have all the boards, I was going to get MR PB but in the end I just kept it simple with one product and being able to pick it all up myself without waiting for deliveries.

Tiles floor to ceiling on all walls in bathroom

No damp problems, solid wall, 1st floor, sheltered low rainfall area.

This will be on all walls, but the external walls will have 40mm PIR board between the plaster and the backer boards

Sponsored Links
Floor to ceiling tile will give you lots of condensation - you will need a powerful extractor.

You are going to "hardwall", (and then rigid PIR on the external walls) and then backer board, and then tile?

Floor to ceiling tiles looks like a public loo. It's way out of fashion (thank fook).

Floor to ceiling tile will give you lots of condensation - you will need a powerful extractor.

You are going to "hardwall", (and then rigid PIR on the external walls) and then backer board, and then tile?

Yes that was the plan, I don't think there will be a moisture problem with the plaster, but even if there were, so long as it all breathes should be fine. Perhaps a cementous render would be better, but harder to manage - well for me. I really don't want to dot & dab.

I will reconsider the floor to ceiling, but I don't think the tiles will feature in any public loos!

Condensation forms on any cold surface regardless of the material. A tile may feel cold to the touch but it isn't actually any colder. The PIR will make a much bigger difference.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back