Just unearthed fireplace in 1900s house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all, first time poster here really after some advice on what to do.
We have recently purchased a flat in a circa 1900 building. We are on the first floor.

We decided recently to remove plaster and expose an old fireplace, not to use it just to have the exposed brick and the fireplace as a feature in the room. I have attached a photo here of what I discovered. https://imgur.com/SM7dqLo

There is no lintel just a brick arch that is in very very poor condition, extremely loose bricks and gap. At some point someone has put a wooden frame in and poured concrete around the bottom of the wood and the fireplace. This appears to be what is supporting the brick arch. I am now just not sure what to do, I don't want to remove the wooden frame as the brick arch will come down and I am worried everything above that with it. so im just here really to look for some advice on the next steps to take.

Sponsored Links
jman91, good evening.

Not a nice sight?Have seen a lot worse!!
Suggest you
1/ At present leave the timber frame in place, remove later.
2/. If you can, carefully remove more plaster above the center of the arch to determine the extent of degradation of the brickwork.
3/. There appears to be 4, 2 each side areas of what appears to be timber? ? ? running horizontally ? ? ?

The metal fire bed appears to be in place as does the supports for the fire bed???

What is the eventual outcome you are seeking to achieve?

Ken

jman91, good evening.

Not a nice sight?Have seen a lot worse!!
Suggest you
1/ At present leave the timber frame in place, remove later.
2/. If you can, carefully remove more plaster above the center of the arch to determine the extent of degradation of the brickwork.
3/. There appears to be 4, 2 each side areas of what appears to be timber? ? ? running horizontally ? ? ?

The metal fire bed appears to be in place as does the supports for the fire bed???

What is the eventual outcome you are seeking to achieve?

Ken

Thanks for the reply Ken.

I must say I'm relieved to hear you have seen much worse, I thought this was as bad as it gets as the whole lot was at risk of all coming down when I first saw it.

Yes removing more plaster above to assess the bricks above the arch is my next step which I will do tomorrow.

You are correct there are I assume Original? timbers each side running horizontally, I am not sure what purpose these serve and have not come across something like it before.

The original fire bed is all in place and I intend to clean and leave in place

The final outcome I want to achieve is exposed brick made good and the original firebed cleaned up and left in place as a visual piece to add to the room, I will not be using the area as a functioning fire though.

The original timbers were probably built in to allow a cast iron fire surround to be screwed into the wall, then possibly tiled over.

Sponsored Links
The original timbers were probably built in to allow a cast iron fire surround to be screwed into the wall, then possibly tiled over.

Thanks Tiger that actually makes lots of sense, nice to know what they were intended for.

I have tried removing some more of the plaster higher up but the brickwork around the arch really does appear a bit ropey. I don't know if its me being paranoid or too cautious but im worried to continue in case everything comes down. The chimney stack is above me and I am worried if that arch goes then the whole stack will collapse into the building..

I would appreciate any advice on this.
Maybe I will get a bricklayer to come have a look.

Ok sorry to double post here but a bit of an update. I got brave and managed to remove some more plaster and render above the arch and it looks like I have discovered a huge original wooden lintel above the arch, was that regular practice back then?

jman91, good evening, again.

if it were me, I would start by inserting slivers / wedges of timber to fully support the arch from the existing timber framing, and then get the arch into an "acceptable shape", then mortar the arch joints up, let the mortar set up then start to tackle the "dodgy brick work" above the arch.

As for the timber lintel? is it in good condition? no wood worm? no wood rot? and no heat scorching ? As an aside do you know what type of timber it is? [probably a redwood???]

An up dated image would really assist, if possible please?

There is a very, very high probability that the brick will not be in a finished condition that can be exposed to view? but it all depends on the " repair" work you undertake now??

Ken.

jman91, good evening, again.

if it were me, I would start by inserting slivers / wedges of timber to fully support the arch from the existing timber framing, and then get the arch into an "acceptable shape", then mortar the arch joints up, let the mortar set up then start to tackle the "dodgy brick work" above the arch.

As for the timber lintel? is it in good condition? no wood worm? no wood rot? and no heat scorching ? As an aside do you know what type of timber it is? [probably a redwood???]

An up dated image would really assist, if possible please?

There is a very, very high probability that the brick will not be in a finished condition that can be exposed to view? but it all depends on the " repair" work you undertake now??

Ken.
Hello again Ken, thanks for the reply. Here is an updated image. https://imgur.com/8Im6Ib5

The timber lintel looks In good condition to me, feels dry and solid, tiny bit of damage from screws I have removed which was holding the plaster mesh in place but nothing substantial, im not sure how thick the actual lintel itself is though so can't see the back or much apart from the front.

Hmm exposed brick is what the other half really has her heart set on, she says she loves the rustic sort of look to them. Im planning to repair as many perished bricks as possible and repoint. Hopefully its to her liking and we can leave exposed..

Also trying to identify the Cast iron fireplace, its rather unusual looking.

the built-in timber pieces and the lintel like timber are Bond or Bonding Timbers sometimes used in 19thC brickwork.
modern Regs require any wood to be a certain distance back from any flue or fireplace or appliance - a HETAS opinion on site is best practice.

you can safely remove the framing contraption in the fire opening, and then remove the brick arch and any loose bricks above the brick arch.
to re-build the arch you will need a timber Centre (google pics of it).
use used bricks, not new bricks, for replacing any needed bricks, and darken your mortar to match existing.

wire brush and clean your fireback brickwork and have the flue swept and smoke tested even though you dont intend to use the flue.
its also best safety practice to have a camera down any flue running through a flat or flats.
flues need constant through ventilation.

the built-in timber pieces and the lintel like timber are Bond or Bonding Timbers sometimes used in 19thC brickwork.
modern Regs require any wood to be a certain distance back from any flue or fireplace or appliance - a HETAS opinion on site is best practice.

you can safely remove the framing contraption in the fire opening, and then remove the brick arch and any loose bricks above the brick arch.
to re-build the arch you will need a timber Centre (google pics of it).
use used bricks, not new bricks, for replacing any needed bricks, and darken your mortar to match existing.

wire brush and clean your fireback brickwork and have the flue swept and smoke tested even though you dont intend to use the flue.
its also best safety practice to have a camera down any flue running through a flat or flats.
flues need constant through ventilation.

Hey Bobasd thanks for the info! All very very helpful, especially the info on the timber bonding and timber centre!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back