Just wondering about Main Supply.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This piccie is of a mates house :-

View media item 22151
It looks very like mine used to before I got my cutout changed by CE but at least on mine there was a g/y earth conductor attached to the cutout casing and going to my CU.

This one appears to have nothing attached at all anywhere !! I've told my mate to ring the dno and tell them about the bitumen leaking so they will change it all over but does this mean that there never was an earth to his house ?

I've had a look under some boards etc and there is nothing connected to the cable anywhere, the only g/y wire is a main bond coming from the cu to the lead water supply pipe, there isn't even a bond on the gas pipe !!

When CE come down will they provide an earth connection as part of their work to change the cutout or is this something my mate has responsibility for ??

The only reason I ask is that he's thinking of getting a shower fitted and after seeing his old fuse board ( 60A wylex rewireable ) I warned him that the sparkie would probably tell him that a new CU will be required, which will add to the cost and after reading a few posts on this site, I wouldn't have imagined a quality sparkie would want to touch this with a bargepole.

TIA

Sponsored Links
Wants sorting ASAP in my opinion.

The DNO (CE) aren't liable to provide and earth; but if one is supplied it is up to them to maintain it. When the cutout is changed it will be the engineer's decision whether or not he converts it to TNS/TNCS. A cup of tea and biscuits might help. ;)

Failing that a decent electrician will drive an earth rod in and make it a TT installation.

A cup of tea and biscuits might help. ;)

Hehe, it certainly did when the guy came down to do my cutout. Mind you, he also got a bacon banjo as well, seeing as he moved the head to another wall for me and fitted an isolator.

Do you think it would be better for him to get the cutout sorted first before calling in a spark ? I'm guessing that one of you guys prolly wouldn't want to do the job first, rather leaving it until the dno stuff was sorted first ?

He's asked me if I would do it for him but I declined seeing as it's a totally different matter doing your own wiring to doing summat for someone else.

I'd be tempted to get the cut out sorted before getting a spark if possible. Those tails from cutout to meter could do with replacing. They look like they're clad in that horrible material like sheath (don't know what it's called!) The DNO will replace these upto the meter too.

As you said it doesn't look like there a main earth about the place at present. :eek:

Sponsored Links
that horrible material like sheath
Material = plastic, rubber, brick, concrete, glass etc etc.

FABRIC = cotton, silk etc.

Sorry, its something that irritates me. Material is anything that you can construct something from. Nothing wrong with PVC insulation. PVC is a material.

that horrible material like sheath
Material = plastic, rubber, brick, concrete, glass etc etc.

FABRIC = cotton, silk etc.

Sorry, its something that irritates me. Material is anything that you can construct something from. Nothing wrong with PVC insulation. PVC is a material.
Have you begun writing to all the publishers of dictionaries which include cloth or fabric as one of the meanings of material?

I'm sure they'll realise that they are wrong once they hear from you.

Maybe at the same time you could get them to do something about having structure or framework as definitions for fabric....

I'd be tempted to get the cut out sorted before getting a spark if possible. Those tails from cutout to meter could do with replacing. They look like they're clad in that horrible material like sheath (don't know what it's called!) The DNO will replace these upto the meter too.

As you said it doesn't look like there a main earth about the place at present. :eek:

I intimated to him that that would probably be the best course of action and I think he agrees with me. He's gonna ring the dno on Tuesday and see what sort of timescale is involved. I've told him to tell them that there was a faint smell of burning to see if it speeds things up any :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back