K-rend anyone?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Building a patio and I have a perimeter wall that needs rendering, was going to get it done old skool and paint it but then someone suggested using pre-coloured krend, only problem is my normal plasterer doesn't want to do the job using this method as he has never done it before so i'm looking for someone who will.

It will hopefully look similar to this when it's done:

http://www.momoy.com/2008/05/27/battersea-contemporary-roof-garden-from-mylandscapes/

Only difference is I don't have wood cladding round the top of the planter cavity so it needs rendering a trowel depth into the void. The total area is about 20m2 (ish). I live near Reading if anyone wants to quote?

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
K Rend is easier to use than sand and cement render. The 'play' time is twice as long and you simple add water to a bucket, add the bag, use a paddle drill.
Try another plasterer/ renderer.

Try decopierrenorth or similar.

So I guess the only reason for a higher cost is the price of the k-rend? Looked at that site, they look to do stone effect rather than rendering. Could do with a new website by the looks of it, perhaps I can do a deal with them ;)

Sponsored Links
guess this has been answered many time but sand and cement or k-rend (or similar)

original plasterer said there's a good chance render will crack and there's no way to easily fix the k-rend type.

a k-rend fan said it's the best and strongest finish and a must as the costs and hassle factor of painting means there's not a big difference in price.

What to believe?

with marmorit our guy uses a mesh that you skim over - it's tough stuff, but i couldn't tell you what it's called.

i had k-rend on a newbuild a few years ago, lovely stuff, but mine had a rough finish - can it be applied as smooth as render? oh, and a minor crack did appear, the answer given was 'we can patch it, but it'll stand out like a sore thumb for maybe 5 years., so we left it.

when i was looking at having k-rend applied on a job a couple of years ago, the manufacturer had a list of small local contractors, i think they found 3 within 5 miles of me, so it's worth asking kilwaughter who's in your locale.

having said that, render and weathershield will be simpler ;)

anyway, why would the render crack? did he give a reason?

Hi,

That's interesting about the repaired area standing out for years. He didn't say it would crack but he said he has plastered and rendered so many places he said nearly all end up having some sort of cracking, he said it's impossible to remove all movement and shrinkage. Expect if you look at most houses there will be muck joints that have gone or the odd cracked brick. Anyway, cracking wasn't necessarily the worry, just wanted to make the best decision. Some bloke has just quoted £940 for my 20m2 wall. It is fiddly but that seems way excessive. Expect normal render would take someone decent 2 days + materials so all done for £500 - big difference. Might try finding local suppliers and see how much they reckon for k-rend.

Cheers

There are a number off products available to you such as weber, marmorit, parex etc etc if you do us a mono then put alkaline resis mesh in the first pass if your worried about cracking, also if used around a planter you may wish to consider tanking it also. But your quote is slightly higher than the trade rates but not massively out of the way, try posting your job on here, there are some good lads out your way
http://www.plasterersforum.com/public-looking-plasterer/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back