K12 Micra: Avoid buying?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was thinking of getting a K12 Micra (2003-on). Maybe an 04 or 05. Private seller.
I have previously had 95 and 99 K11 Micras which were bullet proof.

But browsing the web, there are quite a few reports of expensive stretched timing chain problems on the new shape Micras.
Was this problem fixed after the early 03 models? And how wide ranging was the problem?

Sponsored Links
The K11 had a few timing chain issues - nothing out of the ordinary, and in fact the Primera and Almera had the same problems. The problems were pretty rare on all models and often manifested themselves by allowing the crank and cam sensors to go out of phase.
The K12 is a reliable car, and so long as you listen for timing chain noise (believe me you'd hear it) then buy with confidence.
I look after 3 of these - one of which is approaching 70k miles.
Its possible to fit a new chain without dropping the engine, but the sump does have to come off.
Look for FSH, low miles and avoid driving school / rental cars!
John :)

The K11 had a few timing chain issues - nothing out of the ordinary, and in fact the Primera and Almera had the same problems. The problems were pretty rare on all models and often manifested themselves by allowing the crank and cam sensors to go out of phase.
The K12 is a reliable car, and so long as you listen for timing chain noise (believe me you'd hear it) then buy with confidence.
I look after 3 of these - one of which is approaching 70k miles.
Its possible to fit a new chain without dropping the engine, but the sump does have to come off.
Look for FSH, low miles and avoid driving school / rental cars!

Thanks. I suppose a dodgy chain means it is noisy when started up?
I guess it may not be a problem if the car has had regular oil changes.
I never thought about the ex-driving school motors....

I've spoken at length about these earlier with a friend of mine - a Nissan main dealer service manager who has seen everything before.
He claims that chain failure doesn't seem to be linked with any lubrication issue i.e some cars have a problem despite regular oil changes.
However (and who am I to disagree) I'd want to ensure that the oil used was of the exact Nissan specification, together with a genuine filter just to be on the safe side.
The chain clatters like hell on a faulty one (not just on start up, either) and a normal engine just has a gentle rustle at the chain end of the block.
There's not really much to report about these cars.....04 plate or thereabouts will need new front discs and pads, the genuine Bridgestone tyres are expensive so go for other makes, and the plugs are awkward to change. The clutch is small diameter so it doesn't appreciate being ridden.
The diesel is a Renault 1.5 dci lump if you want to go for that (expect 70 mpg).
Typically Nissan - a quality vehicle.

Sponsored Links
To anyone thinking of buying a 2003 micra DON'T there are thousands of us spending money on cam chains and sensors

I have an 07 Micra and although its only done about 17k and is as new it seems a very simple reliable car.

Have been trying to sell it but people dont want to pay very much, probably because if you advertise a car you only get dealers calling.

Its an ideal ladies car, easy to drive, light controls and nice to drive.

The fuel consumption does not seem very good to me for a small light car and seems little better than my Peugeot 406s.

Its also a problem if the battery is flat to get into it as it assumes you use the remote and has no keyholes on the outside ( that I can remember ).

Tony

I dont use it for any work.

Just light social/domestic!

Sponsored Links
Back