Karndean Korlok over cold floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I was wondering on anyone's advice re this vinyl click floor in our kitchen...
I have established with Karndean that I can pop it straight over the existing tiled surface as grout lines less than 5mm deep and wide. The 20m2 floor is currently really cold (concrete slab under tiles...probably uninsulated) so was thinking of using foil based underlay too (Korlok has built in underlay backing) but now know this would be too springy and may compromise the joints. Electric ufh getting too expensive especially with the added overlay boards also needed, so looking for the next best thing.
The Korlok will make massive difference on its own but now wondering whether to use a foil based dpm over the tiles to help deflect cold...or would that be a waste of money? Or should I glue down a 6mm xps board on top of the tiles?
I am going to have to raise the currently carpeted hall floor to also Korlok it (I use a wheelchair so want to make the floors as level as I can) so I can't add too much extra height to the kitchen floor as going to have to use 10mm xps or similar on hall already to bring it up to the new kitchen floor height...So unless adding xps to the kitchen floor would make a real difference on warmth, I'd be reluctant because of this added 6mm height on top?
Any advice gratefully received

Sponsored Links
Sorry...should have added that taking up the tiles isn't an option unfortunately...

Sorry...should have added that taking up the tiles isn't an option unfortunately...

sure it is.

it's just one that you hope to avoid.

BTW, is there a water leak under the floor making it cold?

Thanks for responding...nope...a leak in the floor is at least one job we are not having to deal with thank goodness...the floors dry...and no damp either :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the idea...appreciated...unfortunately the jumpax system would cost us nearly half a grands extra expense and raise the floor another 10mm higher

Maybe go for quickstep impressive laminate with Timbermate excel underlay

Thanks again for the ideas...we'll have a look at that

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back