Keep it Green

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Eco-friendly gardeners should be given a cut in their council tax, scientists have recommended, as research shows cities may have lost as much as 50% of their green garden space over the past two decades.

Paving over gardens and using plastic grass has become a trend in recent years, which contributes to rising urban temperatures and biodiversity decline.

Now, research from the University of Sheffield has suggested policymakers should offer incentives such as council tax or water bill discounts to encourage gardeners to use environmentally sensitive techniques to help combat climate breakdown and boost communities’ health and wellbeing.

[email protected]

An excellent idea, say i.:mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
Eco-friendly gardeners should be given a cut in their council tax, scientists have recommended, as research shows cities may have lost as much as 50% of their green garden space over the past two decades.

Paving over gardens and using plastic grass has become a trend in recent years, which contributes to rising urban temperatures and biodiversity decline.

Now, research from the University of Sheffield has suggested policymakers should offer incentives such as council tax or water bill discounts to encourage gardeners to use environmentally sensitive techniques to help combat climate breakdown and boost communities’ health and wellbeing.

[email protected]

An excellent idea, say i.:mrgreen:

I got land on the side of my house that I have always maintained.

Last summer I spent alot of time and money putting in sleepers to stop people from parking on the grass. Lots of plants and wild seeds. It looked good.

The council were alerted to what I have done and made me rip it all out.

Yet around the rest of the estate people park their vans and cars on the pavements a grass, churning it all up and making it look shut.

The council do nothing to stop this.

Sponsored Links
In hindsight yes. But no one who parks on tr grass or blocks the path for wheelchair users ask for permission.
Tell it to the Council. And then ask them if they think it's a good idea to find tax cuts for owners of Green gardens.

No point asking the council as they'll send you jumping through hoops all about health and safety and all that.

I regularly plant trees around my neighbourhood to spruce up the area and attract wildlife.
I also cut and maintain the grass on the side of the road where I live.

A reduction in council tax would be great. Can't see it happening though.

No point asking the council as they'll send you jumping through hoops all about health and safety and all that.

I regularly plant trees around my neighbourhood to spruce up the area and attract wildlife.
I also cut and maintain the grass on the side of the road where I live.

A reduction in council tax would be great. Can't see it happening though.

I cut the grass that is council land.

our council is encouraging people to go green ,not ,,by introducing a 40 quid a year charge for emptying the green bin

How would something like this be administered? The council would need to send someone to the property to ensure compliance?

Sponsored Links
Back