Keep reliable Suprima 50 or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have 2001 Potterton Suprima 50 (15kw) regular boiler in the garage which is as old as the house. It has the upgraded PCB, sensors and ignition leads fitted in 2012. New fan (noisy) and gas valve (solenoid open circuit) in 2018. All done by BG Homecare.

In early 2019, I drained and refilled the system when the boiler started making banging noises. Used X400 and X100. It cured the noise. But I don't think I did a good job as the water is dirty in F&E tank.

It's now 2021. The flow through 2 of the 13 rads is not as good as it should - Very hot at top, warm/less hot at bottom of rad, even with valves on either side of the rad fully open. Water in F&E tank is dirty - water is transparent (slightly brown) with half inch of fine brown sediment/rust? sitting in bottom of tank.

Rads are plumbed with dreaded 10mm microbore plastic pipes btw. There is no magnetic filter.

I was told powerflushing microbore systems is not a good idea. Magnacleanse is safer, but is it effective?

Given the cost of fitting a decent magnetic filter and cleaning the system, should I replace my very reliable Suprima boiler, or keep it for another 5-10 years?

Vaillant don't manufacture regular boilers with stainless steel heat exchangers. Are their boilers with aluminium HEX any better than WB Greenstar Ri boilers? Viessman Vitodens 100-w seems to be only regular boiler with SS HEX.

Any advice welcome.

Sponsored Links
Keep it until the main heat exchanger leaks. You've replaced pretty much everything that can be replaced so it should continue to give good service.

No reason why microbore systems can't be flushed, they just require a slightly different technique.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back