Radiators not getting warm - pump too small?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I had a replacement pump fitted to our CH system ~7 years ago (may have been more) and the ground floor radiators don't ever seem to get hot enough unless I start turning the upstairs ones off.
System characteristics are standard CH & HW system with cold water and F&E tanks in the loft, Potterton Suprima 50 boiler, microbore pipework, 13 radiators, 4 bedrooms, 2 storey house. Pump is Wilo-Smart A-25/4-130 (can't find much info about this but assumed 4m?).

I've balanced the rads but still downstairs is warm rather than hot. The coolest of all the rads are also the largest, 2 600mm x 1000mm doubles so assumed these are the last in the circulation. The system was drained down in May and refilled with cleaner for 2 weeks then refilled with inhibitor. There's no magna filter installed. Boiler serviced last November.

So, in your opinions, is the pump not up to the job?
Have been toying with getting a new boiler but as it will require a new pump anyway, maybe start with that first.

Thanks in advance.

Mark.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Yes it should be a good replacement. Hopefully this will get you heat to all rads, you may need to re- balance, but try it first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back