Keeping my garage usable for a car - pulleys and roof storage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a narrow single garage separate to our new-build town-house. Not only is it narrow, but close to the house so that getting the car in/out is quite tricky.

We use the garage for exercise equipment and storage, rarely for the car, but increasing nightmares with street parking (houses being used for students and ground-floor garages converted to bedrooms) mean we need to be able to in case we get home and find there is literally nowhere to park.

I already put in hooks on the walls and painted the floor with polymer paint, but my exercise equipment is an issue, in particular my exercise bike. There isn't really room to move it against a wall and get the car in, so I'm wondering about using ropes and pulleys to allow me to hoist it into the rafters. But, hoisting/lowering it needs to be very easy otherwise I'll be too lazy to lower it and it'll end up not getting used :)

Can anyone offer practical tips on what to use and where to source it? I'm not a natural DIY-er - I can do stuff easily enough but have little experience figuring out what/how to do in the first place.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Pics/dimensions of the bike and of the roof structure please, how heavy is the bike would be a start.

The bike is similar to this one, i.e. not a massive one you'd find in a gym: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultrasport-331100000022-F-Bike-Exercise-Bike/dp/B003FSTA0U. I estimate it weighs 20-25kg.

The rook is a traditional pitched one built fairly lightly, I think using 3x1" lengths but can/will check and get a photo if needed. It is strong enough you can walk around, do pull-ups off a beam, and store a fair amount of stuff. And the bike would be suspended from (between) two beams. I don't think weight is an issue, although I would prefer not to be drilling/nailing things to the beams.

Sponsored Links
OK, lightweight, agree the weights not an issue, but re-post in the General DIY section to get a better response.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back