Keeping plants for the first time (advice for geraniums, mini rose, dianthus and tomatoes).

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I received the above plants yesterday and wondered if anyone could share some advice on how to care for them.
Some of the websites I've looked at are quite convoluted and I've found it difficult to get the information I need.

I wonderend if anyone could advise on:
If to transfer to a larger pots and if so what size? (intended on having toms in hanging baskets).
What to plant them into (sand/gravel + compost) and how often to feed and water?
Are any not suitable for greenhouses (at work so can only water in morning and evening)?
Would any be suitable for a basket under a canopy with no direct sunlight?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1RLPxURKQEBSVRdNA

Any tips or resources greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Geraniums: I presume you mean pelargoniums, Mediterranean plants, full sun, not hardy, so would need to over winter in a greenhouse. Don't need particularly rich soil, but should be free draining, don't over water especially over winter. Feed sparingly.

Mini roses, fine in pots, rich soil, sunny spot. feed every 2 weeks during growing season.

Tomatoes, greedy, thirsty plants, full sun, greenhouse preferably, rich soil, feed regularly in growing season, pinch out excessive side shoots, often grown in large pots (size depends on variety) sometimes in bags or stacked old tyres. Water frequently, but not excessively.

Dianthus, big species range, but will tolerate partial shade, free well drained soil, fine in a bed or pot, Water sparingly everyday if in a pot, not necessary in a bed unless prolonged dry period. Dead head old spent blooms.

Hope that helps a bit.

With regard to tomatoes, before deciding where to plant you need to know the variety as each is treated differently.If you want to grow in hanging baskets then you need a tumbling variety which hangs down and along with Bush and cherry toms you don't pinch out side growth or you get no fruit to speak of

Sponsored Links
With regard to tomatoes, before deciding where to plant you need to know the variety as each is treated differently.If you want to grow in hanging baskets then you need a tumbling variety which hangs down and along with Bush and cherry toms you don't pinch out side growth or you get no fruit to speak of
Thanks - I have the tumbling type. Thanks for the tip about not pinching

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back