First time buyers - Advice on a survey from a early 1900s property

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am looking for some external advice. My partner and I are first time buyers, we found a property we loved and had an offer accepted. It is a terraced house, over 100 years old in the South East. We have recently had the survey back and were quite surprised with the amount of work that appears to be “urgently” required.

My partner is away a lot with the military, and I am hesitant about taking on a big project when he will be away a fair amount. Whilst we see ourselves living in the area for the next 10 years or so, neither of us are from the area and will only be buying in the area for my partner’s job, with the option to rent out if we have to move for a couple of years. It won’t be a forever home!

We shared a copy of the survey with the seller, and she has come back and asked if we will reconsider if she gets the work readdressed.

I’ve added the major parts of the report that were of the biggest concern to of us below:

Chimney Stack – 3

Mortar flashings will need to be repointed during future maintenance, to the roof covering and pointed into the brickwork as these appear to be deteriorating in their current condition.

The chimney requires repointing, and the deteriorating pot, seen from the rear suggests it's time for a replacement. Given the age of the structure, there is a possibility that the chimney and pot and flue materials contain asbestos. Careful consideration and precautionary measures should be taken during any maintenance or replacement work to ensure the safe handling of potential asbestos-containing materials.

Roof coverings - 3

The slate covering is showing signs of ageing and deterioration, as a number of metal clips, known as tingles, are visible where slates have been re-fixed following slippage. This indicates that nails are rusting away and there is the potential for further slippages. It is recommended that you should seek the advice of a reputable roofing contractor to ascertain the extent of works required to prevent the potential for ongoing slippages and whether stripping and re-slating of the roof should be undertaken.

Ventilation to the roof space area appears to be limited, this should be provided via roof ventilators or a breathable membrane. The mortar bedding and pointing to the ridge tiles is deteriorating. Some areas are worse than others. In order to reduce the possibility of wind uplift it is recommended that the ridge tiles are lifted, cleaned off and then re-bedded on new mortar. Roofing contractors’ quotations should be obtained for this work.

Main walls - 3

The main walls to the rear have been rendered over. The presence of flaking render and condensation bubbles indicates moisture penetration within the walls of the property. This can occur due to poor ventilation, inadequate insulation, or water ingress from leaks or rising damp. The condensation forms when warm, moist air comes into contact with cooler surfaces within the wall, leading to trapped moisture and subsequent damage to the render. Addressing the root cause by improving ventilation, insulating the walls, and fixing any sources of water infiltration is crucial to prevent further deterioration and maintain the structural integrity of the property.

In a building of this type, we would expect a damp proof course to be present. However, on inspection there is no visible evidence of DPC. If no DPC is present, the property may suffer rising damp and associated damage. We recommend you undertake further, potentially destructive, testing of the wall build-up to identify if there is a DPC and a guarantee from the seller.

The presence of rust on the render at the back of the property suggests that metal elements, such as reinforcing mesh or fixings, are corroding beneath the surface. This could be due to moisture infiltration, poor drainage, or exposure to harsh weather conditions. To address this issue, it's essential to first identify and rectify the underlying cause of moisture ingress. Once resolved, the affected area should be cleaned, treated with a rust converter, and then re-rendered with a suitable waterproof coating to prevent future corrosion.

Ceilings – 3

Some general unevenness and cracking were recorded, indicating that these ceilings would benefit from being replaced. The work is likely to be disruptive and costly. Appropriate contractors’ quotations should be obtained. Where a textured coating has been applied to some of the ceilings within the property, this material may contain small quantities of asbestos fibre. The general use of asbestos ceased in the mid-1980s and it is possible that the age of this textured coating pre-dates this. On the basis of the likely age of the textured finish it is therefore recommended that it is not worked or sanded in any way that could release fibres. Further advice from an asbestos contractor, to confirm whether the material contains asbestos fibres is advised.

Some of the textured coated surfaces were damaged. This may potentially release fibres.

An asbestos contractor should be instructed to advise if this material contains asbestos fibres and all recommendations for repair/replacement implemented.

Damp staining was noted in the kitchen. This appears to be a leakage from the bathroom above/ external pipework, although the exact cause cannot be determined without invasive damaging investigations which is beyond the scope of this report. The leakage may be ongoing and we recommend further investigation and necessary repairs by a reputable contractor.

Walls and partitions - 3

Moisture content readings were taken throughout the ground floor walls where accessible with an electronic damp meter and dampness was noted to all walls on the ground floor, suggesting the damp-proof course is not operating effectively or there is not one in place.

Condensation and leak patches have been identified in the bathroom on the first floor, particularly within the airing cabinet. To address this issue effectively, it is essential to first identify and rectify the source of the leaks, which could stem from faulty plumbing or inadequate waterproofing. Once the source is resolved, installing proper ventilation, such as an extractor fan, can help mitigate condensation build-up. Additionally, repairing any damaged surfaces and applying waterproof sealants can prevent further leaks and water damage.

Floors - 3

Kitchen tiles may be asbestos containing materials, given their suspected age. We advise further testing by an asbestos contractor before any further works, or removal of tiles, is carried out.

The floor in the reception room, particularly beneath the sofa, exhibits noticeable raising, suggesting trapped moisture accumulation. Given that the floors are solid rather than suspended, addressing this issue requires a comprehensive approach. Firstly, identifying the source of moisture ingress and rectifying it is paramount to prevent further damage.

Once the source is addressed, removing affected flooring materials, drying the subfloor thoroughly, and addressing any underlying issues such as inadequate drainage or leaks are necessary steps. Replacing damaged flooring and implementing moisture barriers during reinstallation can help prevent future moisture-related issues. Risks associated with prolonged moisture exposure include structural damage, mould growth, and compromised indoor air quality, underscoring the importance of prompt and thorough remediation.

Some advice from some more experienced property owners would be most appreciated! Are we being too scared off by this survey, and if we decide to continue would you recommend asking the seller to do some of the work prior to the sale (or are they just going to look for the cheapest shortcuts around the work)?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Rhowarth,
Take your time, dont be rushed - fast can be bad & costly.

1. The survey report is a bit up and down - its not very good. Poorly organized & difficult to follow at times.
2. Whatever happens you dont want to allow the seller to do any of the remedial work that might be needed.
The only interest the seller would have is getting the cheapest job done by whoever comes along.
They do not have your interests at heart - even the nicest people are in the business of selling their property for the largest amount possible.
3. As an owner you can appoint and pay a site manager to organize, supervise & constantly inspect the standard of work being done by the various building trades. They are not cheap & the good ones are hard to find.
4. Without pics its difficult to comment on the text of your report. Good survey reports, even roofing trade reports, will nowadays provide pics keyed in to numbered items in the report,
5. Some of the items listed in your report are a bit sketchy - not significant.

If you want to ask me any questions then come back here. I'm not advising you as a property owner but as someone who works in the building trades.

I'm not a professional builder but I have renovated several houses and built one from scratch. I tend to agree with everything Ree says but to me it sounds like a property that has never been refurbished in it's life nor properly maintained of late. That report to me suggests you would need to spend many tens of thousands of pounds on that property for new roof, floor and a back to brick ( or in this case stone) refurbishment. Given your circumstances my advice would be to walk away.

Old houses need stuff doing to them. The one you are looking at sounds neglected. Building work is expensive, dirty and time consuming, and it appears you are not able to do it yourself.

This is not the house for you.

Sponsored Links
Would you like to summarise or bullet point the bits of the report you are concerned about, and your questions?

Nothing major but not minor either

Assuming report is a fair assessment rather than exaggerated, it adds up to a fair amount of work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back