Kestrel in my garden?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just witnessed what I think is a kestrel in my garden eating our blackbird!!! It dragged it under our garden bench and proceeded to eat it. Its description is as follows: about the size of seagull, orange brown upper chest, yellow eyes, dark grey top of head, back and uppermost tail with splashes of white dot like makings towards his tail. Fluffy white feathers underneath his tail and also on the lower half of his chest and upper legs. Am I right in thinking this is a kestrel? :confused:

Sponsored Links
murdock said:
Am I right in thinking this is a kestrel? :confused:

I have a round cylindrical piece of wood, aproximatly 2 inches diameter and about 5 feet long, at one end there is an iron bar that is about 12 inches long by half an inch wide, this bar has 2 inch "nails" going through it.

Do you think this is a rake?

More than likely a sparrow hawk, I witnessed one take a small blackbird a couple of mornings ago whilst walking the dog.

Sponsored Links
murdock said:
Breezer sarcastic git

yes it was, but i did it for a reason which seems to have gone over your head, i will expalin.

This forum is a diy forum, for something like you asked you should search the www, the other reply you got said "more than likely a sparrow hawk" but what if it isn't ? "more than likely" means the poster is not 100% if it is or is not.

I don't know and i know you dont know,(that is why you asked, to find out what it IS) so to find out what it really is try a search on an ornathology website, they probably have pictures too, that way you will know for sure what it is.

now do you see my point?

NStreet - You were right!!! checked it out as Breezer suggested on a bird web site and the description fitted it perfectly - many thanks

breezer said:
murdock said:
Am I right in thinking this is a kestrel? :confused:

I have a round cylindrical piece of wood, aproximatly 2 inches diameter and about 5 feet long, at one end there is an iron bar that is about 12 inches long by half an inch wide, this bar has 2 inch "nails" going through it.

Do you think this is a rake?
No. thats a t.v. aerial

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back