Kettling boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - wonder if you could shed some light on what is going on with my boiler. I have a Maxol Microturbo feeding a Boilermate II.

Earlier in the week I had to drain down the entire system to replace a isolation valve on a towel radiator that was leaking. The drain down was fine, I checked the header tank was emptying as I know the cold feed gets blocked on the Boilermate II, this emptied fine however, and the water coming out was absolutely clear, hopefully down the the two bottles of inhibitor I put in the last time it was drained down!

After filling back up (with inhibitor), everything was fine until about 24 hours after when the boiler started kettling. It is not really that loud but it's audible, and it is causing water to come out of the overflow outside, only when the boiler is kettling. I've been bleeding rads and the pumps for a few days now and there is no air anywhere from what I can tell. I also put some x200 in with the inhibitor to see if that helps, but it hasn't so far.

I'm assuming the pump or the heat exchanger? Even though the water was clear there was some sediment on the top of the header tank that may have been pulled into the system which could be causing it?

Also, can someone explain, if there is a reasonable amount of water coming out of the overflow, and the water in the header tank is stopping the ball cock dropping to allow water in, how is the header tank staying at the same level, where is the water coming from? Or is it likely to be air (even though as I said there is no air in the rads) replacing the water?

Sorry for the long post but thought I'd try and get as much detail in as possible. Any ideas welcome!

Sponsored Links
The header tank on the Boilermate II is connected directly above the main thermal store. When you say vent pipe in this instance would that be the pipe that connects the main store to the top of the header tank (i.e. the not the cold feed one)?

Other than the cold feed in I don't see any other way the water could increase in the header tank (unless there was a leak in the internals of the store, which I can't see as this issue only occurs when the boiler is running).

The pump is set to max (setting 3) - you can't set it any lower as it really does start to kettle then, and some serious banging! (that has always been the case though, not just now).

Sponsored Links
Can anyone shed any light on this? Completely baffled how water can keep trickling out of the overflow yet the level in the header tank does not drop. Noise not getting any worse but symptoms persist!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back