Kids have pulled radiator off plasterboard wall!

Spring loaded toggle fixings,,,bit of a prat on but sometimes do the trick

I looks like Interset fixings were originally used. AFAIK they have have a much higher load bearing than a spring toggle. Or do you mean use the spring toggles with the existing (enlarged) holes.

Mind you, it looks like they didn't tighten the intersets sufficiently. 2 out of three of them don't seem to be fully expanded.

Sponsored Links
It's common practice in new builds

Yes. And rads are not climbing frames.
And, Usually, in a new build or conversion/extension, the builder has marched on and boarded and skimmed the walls before the client has even thought about rad location and model... It's then down to the plumber to get them where they're wanted.

Firstly jc, I am quite astounded that anyone would fix a radiator to plasterboard but some doofer obviously has.
I am more astounded you do not know it is common practise...All sorts of dwellings.

Sponsored Links
I am more astounded you do not know it is common practise...All sorts of dwellings.

Well, I would not expect an heavy radiator to be fixed to plasterboard with toggle bolts. My small bathroom cabinet is on a plasterboard wall, but I made sure that had at least two fixings into stud work, by drilling the back of hit. My small bathroom radiator is also on a plasterboard wall, but it has noggins placed where the fixings are needed.

I'm not surprised that rad came off the wall, hardly the kids fault.

Hello,

I need some advice please. My kids have successfully managed to pull the radiator off the plasterboard wall (I am assuming it is plasterboard since it sounds hollow when you knock on it) in the playroom and it is currently laying on the floor. Fortunately the pipes are plastic and flexible so there are no leaks.

I obviously want to fix it asap to avoid any further issues, but am not sure the best course of action. The radiator was affixed, aligned to the middle under a window and I really don't want to re-position it off-centre and lose the symmetry. Due to the amount of damage to the plasterboard when they pulled it off the wall, I don't think the option of using larger fixings in the existing holes will work.

Is there a way to repair the plasterboard so that I may re-drill and affix the radiator in the same place? If not, what other options exist?

View attachment 170457 View attachment 170458 View attachment 170459 View attachment 170460

Kind Regards,

J
You might get away with these, they're pretty strong. They need a 10mm dia hole if I remember right, with luck the existing holes are smaller.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/fischer-self-drill-plasterboard-fixings-metal-35mm-100-pack/47347

Judging by the pics it doesn't look like the expanding legs on the fixings got behind the plasterboard, or bigger holes would have been torn out. If that's the case the pullout force would be much reduced. You mighty try the same type again, but make sure they're installed correctly.
Fortunate the rad is on flexible hoses or you might have had a flood and bigger problems.

You might get away with these, they're pretty strong. They need a 10mm dia hole if I remember right, with luck the existing holes are smaller.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/fischer-self-drill-plasterboard-fixings-metal-35mm-100-pack/47347

Judging by the pics it doesn't look like the expanding legs on the fixings got behind the plasterboard, or bigger holes would have been torn out. If that's the case the pullout force would be much reduced. You mighty try the same type again, but make sure they're installed correctly.
Fortunate the rad is on flexible hoses or you might have had a flood and bigger problems.

I was under the impression that the self drill fixings that you linked to are for lightweight fixings.

I was under the impression that the self drill fixings that you linked to are for lightweight fixings.
I think there's a good chance the original fixings weren't installed properly, but even so they took the vertical load OK, it was the pullout that did for them. If installed right there's a good chance that type or the ones on my link would be OK. Worth a try and if it comes off again do something else. Hopefully by the time the kids get much stronger they'll have more sense!

Kids climbing over radiators. Blame the plumber.

The truth is that punters want the cheapest price available. Fair enough. They often want you in and out asap. Fair enough. But as soon as you start on that road compromises take place - and it is actually rare to see rads fitted to the wall than the PB, unless there has already been an issue.

Well it didn't fall off did it!

It hardly had a safety margin, did it!

I was taught to not only ensure fixings were strong enough to to support the static loading, but to have a sufficient margin as to be well enough fixed for all reasonable loads, including someone leaning or falling on them.

Relying on plasterboard fixings for anything more than decorative items was a strict no, no.

It hardly had a safety margin, did it!

I was taught to not only ensure fixings were strong enough to to support the static loading, but to have a sufficient margin as to be well enough fixed for all reasonable loads, including someone leaning or falling on them.

Relying on plasterboard fixings for anything more than decorative items was a strict no, no.
But if your house has plasterboard walls (like my youngest son for example) without going to a lot of trouble you're stuck with it. The battens are unlikely to be at convenient locations. Just have to use, correctly,the most suitable fixings, ie ones that work best with the relarively weak plasterboard. It will clearly take vertical loads OK. Youngest has some as in my link, and I was surprised how solid they feel. I think that type would be worth a try, if the holes aren't already too big.
And educate the kids! When mine were young we had solid walls, but I don't remember them trying to pull the rads off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back