Radiator on stud wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How can I fix a radiator to a stud wall, when the timber isn't in line with the fixings on the back of the radiator (towel radiator)? Hanging from the plasterboard isn't something I want to do, nor is breaking open the wall to fix additional noggins.

A wooden batten fixed horizontally into the studs would work, but obviously it wouldn't be very attractive. Is there something like a metal rail that could be fixed to the timber, with the radiator mounted to that?

Sponsored Links
What type of radiator is it? Horizontal, vertical, decorative, double, single, cast iron etc?
Do you know the weight?

Most domestic radiators are fixed to the plasterboard. Gripit heavy duty Fixings are rated at 113kg for a shear load, and their website shows them being used to hang radiators. However if you don't want to do that, I once saw a sheet of ply screwed to the noggins which the radiator was mounted from and was concealed behing it, but I guess that's not going to look so good with a towel warmer.

Sponsored Links
As above or rawlplug hollow wall anchors. I use the latter for towel rails and rads.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back