King post modification

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to add a first floor to my large garage loft for storage purposes, but there is a large king post truss in the centre which will start at around waist height when i put floor in, so will be in the way. i wish to modify them to make an opening as large as possible in the middle, as i no removing completly is not an option, has anyone managed anything similar and have any advice.

Sponsored Links
leaving alone is not an option if i want to make the area usable, i have asked structural engineer to come have a look, i thought steel would be the option, just looking for ideas thanks

Sponsored Links
leaving alone is not an option if i want to make the area usable, i have asked structural engineer to come have a look, i thought steel would be the option, just looking for ideas thanks

Sorry, I meant put the steelwork in first then remove the truss...other way round could be a real disaster! :p
You'll probably want a portal frame with a tie at ceiling height.

thanks for that ronnie, i wish you were closer i would employ you to come and do drawings, i have a good steel company that has done work for me before so this should be ok.

do you or any one out there have any idea on cost for an se to come out and design whats needed.??

thanks for all the help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back