Timber frame bungalow loft Conversion?

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi, info on this site seems great, apolagies of there was a thread on this previously.

Considering this house as location is perfect, site boundaries are maxed so cannot extend outwards. Only option for additional bedroom and office would be attic conversion. I believe the house was constructed early 90's and is Timer frame construction.

My question is what additional info would be needed to give to a str engineer to determine if a conversion is possible/ fiseable?

Joist dimensions and spacing? Truss/ cut roof? web/ king posts etc. Many thanks in advance. Pics att ( some large openings......)

Attachments

• cr1.jpg
    cr1.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 235
  • cr3.jpg
    cr3.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 211
  • cr2.jpg
    cr2.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 199
Sponsored Links
The best you can do is instruct a survey by a suitable person and part of the instruction will be to assess it for conversion. This will involve checking any approved plans for the design and construction.

It may be enough for a visual survey, as I doubt the current owner will let things be taken apart, but that is the best you can do.

In all likeliness is can be converted with no problems, but the issue will be "at what cost?", if the build is a bit non-standard.

As Woody says, any survey isn't going to be invasive so the amount of information you will get from it is limited.

Nothing, however, is impossible (OK, some things are impossible, but you know what I mean). The amount of work involved in converting the loft will mainly depend on the extent of the conversion (dormer or not etc). If loads and/or spans are high there might be a requirement for new steelwork, and then bearing locations have to be looked at. Will new timber or steel posts be required?

In this respect it's not hugely different from converting a load bearing masonry building. It's often difficult to keep all of the works in the attic space without having to do anything to the habitable area below.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back