Loft Conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Thinking of doing a loft conversion (with dormer) on my mid-terrace property (trussed roof).
The property is of timber frame construction, the only brickwork is at the front & back of the property, i.e. the party walls are just stud walling.

The span from front to back is about 7 meters, with internal stud walls beneath - not sure if there load bearing though.

I've done lots of reading in both books and forums with mixed messages.

The existing trusses are only 4x2" spaced at 55cm (7 of them). In order to remove 5 of the W sections (I'll leave the end ones) I know I’ll have to do a lot of strengthening, question is how much?

My plan is to:
- Sister the existing floor joists with 7x2” running from front to back (25mm above to protect the ceilings underneath).
- Build stud walls (from 6x2” timber) roughly 1 meter high to support the roof (and probably but some cupboards in).
- Strap the top of each truss.
- Build the dormer, that spans 5 of the trusses, that will give us maximum space.

This space will only be used as a snug/office.

Has anyone done a loft conversion like this before? Any help would be much appreciated!?

Regards,
Robo

Sponsored Links
Often the most tricky thing with loftys is getting a compliant stair to fit, you'll have to add a few steels which needs to be designed by a structural engineer, Trussed lofts are a bit more hassle but doable it so happens: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=261722

What is the existing head height to the ridge? This can often be too low to accomodate a conversion given the additional floor structure and insulation beneath the existing rafter line required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back