Loft conversion on 10 year old house - timber framed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

At the early stages of looking into adding a loft conversion to our house. It was build in 2004 and is a detached 4 bed which looks similar to this

8d7a4d875013884e61a537d2d6aef71e238476ab_645_430.jpg

External wall dimensions are 8.4metres by 7m

The wall is brick outer, timber framed inner (no blockwork) and I was wondering if anyone has any experience of

- Whether steels of length 8.4 metres will be a problem (there are no load bearing partition walls)

- I assume steels would need to rest on the outer brick work, is a single layer of brick OK for this? If so does it rest on padstones/steel plates onto the brick

- Any other considerations that we may need to take into account on this type of house?

Will of course be employing an architect and structural engineer but think it is useful to understand some of the basics before engaging them.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Steels would be supported off the inner timber frame, not the brickwork, but this will require special care by your SE to get the load distribution right.

Your house will almost certainly have a truss-roof, which are difficult enough to convert to aditional space, but with a timber frame house as well.........!

Steels would be supported off the inner timber frame, not the brickwork, but this will require special care by your SE to get the load distribution right.

Your house will almost certainly have a truss-roof, which are difficult enough to convert to aditional space, but with a timber frame house as well.........!

Thanks, I see that most loft conversion companies are stating that they are able to handle trussed roofs, guess I will have to engage an architect/engineer to get specifics about what is needed.
In the loft, I can't see any sign of the timber frame, it looks like the loft rafters are resting on the brickwork. Is the brickwork definitely not load bearing in a timber framed house?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back