Loft Conversion

GP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the early stages of a planning a loft conversion and I need some advice with regard to the steel usage to support the new floor joists. My house is detached and has a hip roof on each side (i.e. no gable ends). I am confused as to how I can install steel to give me maximum loft space, as there are no walls to support the steel at each end of the required space, and only in the middle. Can anyone help me?

Sponsored Links
The steel will have to sit on your external walls and be cut to the pitch of your roof hips. Obviously the longer the span then the larger the steel height but if you are having the job done to regulation then your Architects brief will involve arranging a Structural report with all the dimensions and requirements on it.

Thanks for that. I think the best way forward is to get a architect to review the situation, as the spans would be quite long (about 4M to first internal wall from each end, then 4M between each internal wall). That also seems like a lot of stell and therefore expensive. Any ideas where the best place to get this steel is and are there any alternatives to standatd RSJ's?

"HE30TF" (6082TF) aluminium is as strong as steel stress wise but whether it meets building regs is beyond my knowledge, but it's also a hell of a lot lighter

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back