Is this a safe way to support an RSJ?

Sponsored Links
Why didn't they build up in blockwork/engineering bricks , built off the existing brick wall ,with a concrete padstone under the steel beam ? Why build up off masonry with about 17 bits of 100 x 50mm timbers stuck on top of one another ?
Looks a weird form of construction to me and I can't imagine any structural engineer I have worked with detailing something like that.

Sponsored Links
Given that wood expands and contracts, that steel would be going up and down like a yo yo :ROFLMAO:

Are you that imaginative? I thought you followed convention.
My most imaginative ideas I felt compelled to keep off the forum. You professionals simply aren’t ready for my advanced techniques. You’d all simply mock. Give it a few years and all your walls will be soaked bread and Cheerios.

Given that wood expands and contracts, that steel would be going up and down like a yo yo :ROFLMAO:
Each one of those timbers could shrink across the grain by as much as say 3mm. It could mean then, that the steel settles onto something it shouldn't or it could have no consequences whatsoever. Vertical (grain) timber propping would have made more sense.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back