Loft conversion RSJ's

G

george765

Hi all,
I am hoping to convert my loft. It will have to be mostly a DIY project due to a small amount of founds.
I've been reading on the net, bought a CD off e/blag, and got a book from the library but there's a question regarding supporting the new floor that I can't find the answer to. Here's the question....
All the illustrations I have seen show setting two RSJ's into the walls at each end of the loft i.e. the party wall (my house is a semi) and the gable wall at the other end, one either side of the loft, then timber joists inbetween.
But....my house has a sloping roof (hip ?) at the end, so thers's no wall to set the RSJ's in. The outside wall is under the eves so can't get to that !
so how's it done ?
thanks in advance, george

Sponsored Links
Often semi's with hipped rooves do not have the space inside to do the conversion anyway as the stairs often need to go up at the outside wall under the hip. Have you actually checked you're gonna be able to make a conversion fit ie get a stair in to work? Its possible to add a gable end to overcome these problems. Have you actually been up into your loft to assess the relationship between the existing ceiling and the eaves? Sometimes you can cut a fillet off the top ends of the RSJ's to get them to fit.

You can add a gable as FMT said, or you can add a dormer to give sufficient headroom whilst climbing the stairs. You'll have to do one or the other.

Do you have a raised collar roof, with a sloping section of ceiling at the top of the upstairs rooms? If this is the case the beams can be cranked down at the ends so that they follow the pitch of the roof to the top of the wall.

I'm not sure I've explained my question very well,sorry.
My loft is vey big as it's a double fronted house. I'mgoing to put a box dormer to the rear and have planning for two small dormers to the front elevation. No problem with room for stairs etc
it's just the question how to get support for the steel at hip end. the top plate which the ceiling rafters sit on is too low, and a steel would poke up through the roof tiles.
all the example pics i can find show a gable end..so a suporting wall each end of the loft...simples
but i still don't know how it's done with a hip roof end.

Sponsored Links
In that case as FMT said, you fillet the end of the beam so that it fits under the tiles.
You need an SE anyway who will produce a scheme for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back