Is this a safe way to support an RSJ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are currently having a hip to gable loft conversion done, and having the steels put in, the builders have built up the side wall with c16 carcassing timber. Has anyone seen anything like this before?

I'v checked the plans, which simply state "build up wall", but don't give a spec. I would have assumed that it would be a continuation of the inner leaf which is engineering brick.

Attachments

• 47270014_908179342905519_1434294209556250624_n.jpg
    47270014_908179342905519_1434294209556250624_n.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 892
Sponsored Links
It's probably a temporary arrangement. We often dry pack a steel then Acrow prop it and build under, once there is stabilizing weight on top.

Does your structural engineers drawings say:

'use 15no 5 x 2 timbers laid flat as a padstone' :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
Maybe the builder likes playing Jenga? I really want to tap out that one five from bottom.

Seriously though that is a bloody funny temporary propping, I hope there are a couple of acros out of sight taking the weight of the beam if that Jenga pile does go.

I spoke to the builders today and its looks like that is intended to be permanent. There is a steel bearer on the top which is at to spec, and they have bolted the timbers together, and will put timber frames up each side. I've spoken to building control and they said it was "unusual", but that they would review the plans and the structural calcs before deciding if it was wrong or not.

If they have put a steel spreader plate directly under the bottom flange of the beam, it could well spread out the load so that the crushing strength of the timber is not exceeded.
But overall, it does not look to be a stable arrangement. Maybe they do it that way in Eastern Europe?

My steel ridge is on timber but nothing like that.

Mines on 3x vertical 4x2’s, each fixed together and part of a much larger wall, loads of noggins and then 18mm structural ply fixed to both sides.

Whats stopping the pile of timber falling over towards the beam shoving it thru whatever is opposite? [What does the other end sit on?)

I'm not a builder and like you I would be concerned if I saw that. It just does not look correct and you need Building Control to look at it , that's what I would be doing.
Keep us posted

Whats stopping the pile of timber falling over towards the beam shoving it thru whatever is opposite? [What does the other end sit on?)

They are intending to build up either side of the stack with vertical beams into the dormer structure. This should (theoretically) secure the beams in place and stop any movement. The other side of the beam is on a 100mm steel bearing on the party wall opposite

Is the grey thing really a steel beam?? If so,it's a whopper.

It does look massive (y)
Judging by the 2" timbers its sitting on, it looks to be about 350mm high -seems awful big for a roof steel.

I'm not a builder and like you I would be concerned if I saw that. It just does not look correct and you need Building Control to look at it , that's what I would be doing.
Keep us posted

Thanks Pete. That was the first thing i did when I saw it. The builders are continuing work, but they have confirmed they wont cover or conceal anything before BCO has been out to examine the structure. I will post an update with what they say :)

It does look massive (y)
Judging by the 2" timbers its sitting on, it looks to be about 350mm high -seems awful big for a roof steel.

Its 356mm. The span is quite long at 8m. I was a bit shocked when i saw them craning it off tbh, but that is what was specified.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back