Kingfisher II not firing but pilot lit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just realised that we've had no hot water all day.

Boiler is a Potterton Kingifsher II, CF80 pretty old (probly 10yrs+).

Pilot is lit, pump working but the main burner part doesn't appear to be firing at all. Have watched for about 20 mins but it's not cycling on and off or anything.

Tried turning on CH as well to see if that would kick it into life, but it didn't work. Also tried turning up the thermostat on the boiler but it had no effect. Checked for any obvious air locks in the system but all seems OK.

Not had any problems in the last 5 years. Nobody has messed around with it, or changed anything in the system and it was serviced late last year.

Can anyone suggest what might be wrong? Are parts still available for these boilers? I'm planning to have a whole new boiler installation when my extension is built and I really don't want to be buying a new boiler now.

I'm not going to be doing anything on this mysefl but I would like to have some background info before I call somebody out tomorrow.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

Sponsored Links
is the pump running when you call for heating or hot water? are there any lights on the programmer? and what model is it?. Might just be that a fuse has blown, which in turn may be a small problem or may be a big one.

Thanks for your rapid reply.

The contoller is a Siemens RW9, I've cycled it through the CH and HW programs and the lights go on and off and I can hear it clicking, so it seems to be OK. I can also hear the pump go on and off.

Does the boiler have a separate fused supply? If I look in the cupoard there is a fused connection above the big main junction box, but it looks as if that's for the pump and valves.

Thanks

Matt

Sponsored Links
CHECK IF VOLTAGE (240 V AC) GETTING TO GAS VALVE IF IT IS GAS VALVE HAS FAILED.IF NO VOLTAGE CHECK SUPPLY INTO BOILER THEN THROUGH BOILER STAT
MOD
STOP SHOUTING

Found what looks like the fuse, took it out and checked it and it seems OK.

If I remove the 3pin plug going into the gas valve and use a circuit tester then one of the 3 pins gives 240v/0v when I fiddle the boiler thermostat up and down. None of the other pins does anything.

Does this mean the control unit is OK and the gas valve is faulty?

Now I just need to find somebody who's got the right part and will fit it today.

Thanks to you both for your help.

Matt

It's a very standard part. If you said where you were.....?

Unless you live near Chris ( In Antartica ??? ) then the chance of finding anyone with the part AND willing to fit it today at an acceptable price is pretty slim!

If the gas valve were failed and we were to replace it on a weekday the total bill would be about £168.

Tony

I've got a few spare solenoids and if you live by me I'm sure I could do it on a sunday for a little less than that ;)

Whats the chance of him living in Austria?

If we only replaced the solenoid then during the week it would be £108 in London, £98 in the Midlands.

Tony

I live in North London, N20

The valve is a SIT-820 Nova.

If anyone can guarantee me a time tomorrow morning and an approximate price then the job is yours.

I've tried half a dozen numbers from the yellow pages and not heard a squeak.

I dont go N of the river...........OUSE :LOL: Looking @ the locations...one person is actually in London :idea: ...I`ve a feeling his name is similar to his companys name.....might be totally wrong though :rolleyes: ...Maybe I`m just taking the mick...has been known :confused:

I presume the solenoid is a detachable part. Can I take it off and jiggle it about or something to try to free it up or get it working?

On a car starter motor whacking it with a hammer usually works, but on a precision instrument like a boiler I imagine this might be an unwise approach.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back