Kingspan / celotex insulation for shed/garage/workshop?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I say shed/garage/workshop, it'll be a block built building in the back garden so whatever name for it that is most suitable :)

I'll be back at a later date to ask more about this project but for the time being i wanted to ask about the insulation on it that'd be in the wall cavity.

I imagine a builder would use Kingspan/Celotex cavity sheets at whatever cost they are. Probably 50mm would be the thickness i would guess?

However i can get hold of (for either very cheap or even free) Celotex/Kingspan lengths with the following dimensions...

1200mm Long
Either 155mm or 195mm wide (a mixture available)
100mm thick

Obviously it'd need more then your standard cavity sheets, but since they'll be free/very cheap, i may get them in in advance if they'd be any good.

I've no experience of building at all so i don't know - would strips like these be any good? I'm curious about that thickness too, would 100mm be too much?

Like i say, i know nothing about building so thought i'd ask people here. Better that than calling out a builder & saying - hey in 7-10 years time i'm thinking of doing this, can you help me now (for free) for then. :)

Sponsored Links
You'd have to do at leat a 125mm cavity, you'd also add a large number of ties in to hold the insulation against the inner skin.

So I doubt you would get a brickie use it, if they did they would charge more.
So really it's not really an option.

Ah that's a bit of a pain in the bum then. Thanks for replying though. Now you've said what's what i can at least see why some would maybe price the job to do away with that. Thought i could've maybe saved a few quid there. Worth a try :)

Although while i'm at it ...

would you use cavity sheets (i forget the size, perhaps 4ft-x-2ft lengths at a guess)
or the 8x4 sheets?

If 8x4 sheets would be an option then i could possibly get my hands on some damaged sheets at a discounted price. The 8x4 wouldn't be free but discounted for sure if the sheets are damaged.

Obviously if a sheet has snapped in half then it's not such a good sheet, but if it's only had a corner 'chewed' off, then surely it wont make a great deal of difference? (or would it?)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back