Kingspan Rafter Insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm currently fitting Kingspan K7 Insulation, between the rafters, leaving a minimum 50mm air gap above.

I'm hoping to fill any gaps left with expanding foam and fit K18 plasterboard.

I'm insulating part of the roof, at the moment, in the room we're working on, and hoping to do the rest at a later date.

Should I leave any gap at the bottom or completely insulate as much as I can.

Does anyone see any problems, with what I am doing?

Sponsored Links
No problem what you are doing but you need to vent eaves and ridge for thru ventilation.

No problem what you are doing but you need to vent eaves and ridge for thru ventilation.

Thanks for the reply, what's the best way of venting the eaves?

This is the main area that I am not entirely sure about.

The property is a century old mid terrace.

Sponsored Links
Err unless you fit ridge vents at the top or a tile vent between each rafter at the top you are asking for trouble, or how is that moist air in the 50mm air gap gonna escape?

your high level venting will be an issue as your roof has no breathable 1f felt. you could open the felt laps but a bit of risk... ridge venting required.

Looks like its a lot more complicated then I initially thought.

I need ridge vents and eaves ventilation installing across the roof. I think I'll need to find a decent roofer for this.

The attached diagram is the layout of the roof, the red bit is the area that I want to insulate now, above the yellow bit is a small loft and the green bit is what I want to insulate at a later date. The brown is a wall that splits the two rooms.

If I insulate the red area, would I still need to put ventilation in place or can I wait until, I've insulated the rest of the roof.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back