Kitchen & Bathroom venting into conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Re newbuild home bought 3 years ago. Mother in law's home.

Ventilation from downstairs WC and kitchen exit house between ground floor ceiling and 1st floor level; about 8 ft up rear wall.

Last summer she had a conservatory built. The roof is fitted to the house above the vents so all the air from the kitchen and WC goes into the conservatory.

There is no nearby ventilation designed into the conservatory roof. No openings in the roof at all.

Sure enough this winter, she reports having some condensation issues in the house and conservatory.

Is this acceptable work/design? It struck me that it should not be acceptable to negate efforts to ventilate a home. But...?

Sponsored Links
Did no one spot the vents whilst the conny was being built?

Thank goodness it wasn't a boiler flue eh! :rolleyes:

You mean the extractor fans from the kitchen and bog vent directly into the conservatory? If so then obviously they should vent directly to the outside air.

Sure enough this winter, she reports having some condensation issues in the house and conservatory.

Is this acceptable work/design? It struck me that it should not be acceptable to negate efforts to ventilate a home. But...?
Salesmen, Semi skilled, that's the con in conservatory :cry: Somehow they need to be ducted out - possibly through the sides of conny. Pictures would be good for us guys ;)

Sponsored Links

Salesmen, Semi skilled, that's the con in conservatory :cry: Somehow they need to be ducted out - possibly through the sides of conny. Pictures would be good for us guys ;)

You're totaly got right.

Thanks for all replies. I cannot get pics and don't want to panic mother in law by raising it with her. I thought I might confirm that she's got leverage to have what's been done, undone. Will advise that she contacts building control?

Perhaps there's nothing that can be done ; installers probably aware ....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back