Coverting conservatory into a kitchen?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Move into w house few months back, and have been thinking about replacing the kitchen, however, it is rather small... and someone suggested we covert our conservatory, which, as we dont use it, it is wasted space, and this seems like a great idea! The conservatory does have a rad in it, so does this then actually make it a habitable space rather than a conservatory!

We have had a builder round, and are awaiting a quote, and we discussed most of the things that will need doing. Its a 3 sided lean to dwarf walled conservatory (wall is double skin about 1m high), and approx. 3.2m deep and 3.5m wide. It is at the rear of our property beyond the dining room. The current kitchen is next to the dining room and does extend perhaps 1.8m alongside the conservatory. This then leaves a space of approx. 2.2m wide and 1.5m in front of the kitchen which we could extend the conservatory to, so it then goes across the full width of the house.

The first thing that was mentioned was going to a solid roof, the need for steels, pillars and bricking up one of the side walls of the cons. Leaving tehr front glazed, with corner pillars, and we would open up the other side leading into the small extension which would be a utility space.

This then led onto the foundations, which would require some investigation, as if not 1m would need to be, or underpinned...

Are their any option we can consider (other than diy'ing, as this is well beyond my means and the missus would never let me do anything building wise!), such as a lighter weight roof, which may negate the need to do any further works to the foundations?

Im not looking to cut corners, just want to look at all options and materials that may be available to make the project more cost effective.

Ive read a general rule of thumb for costing an extension is around £1200 per sqm, So as the size of the new room would be approx. 16sqm, then £20k should just about cover it. Im also hoping that because we are converting one structure into another rather than building from scratch, some of the groundwork may already have been done. Or, because of the type of conversion, we may as well look at as a completely new build?

Would appreciate any advice...

Cheers

Sponsored Links
cost you a fortune to comply with building reg
so demolish and start again probably

It could be more of a faff (and cost) trying to upgrade the existing as opposed to knocking down and starting again.

There are too many elements (probably) going against you, i.e. foundations, thermally inefficient walls, etc etc.

My guess is start from scratch and plan for something on your own designed footprint, i.e. something larger or grander perhaps?

Im also hoping that because we are converting one structure into another rather than building from scratch, some of the groundwork may already have been done.
There are few things that a typical conservatory build could attribute or compare to a full reg's extension. The masonry side of things, i.e. those that are not the UPVC, glass or polycarb bits are often completed on a very tight budget and bear little resemblance to a 'proper' job.

I refuse outright to get involved in connie bases for this reason.

Just stick a sink in it and call it a skullery :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
other things to keep in mind

you are responsible for any planning applications required
you are responsible for complying with building regs and arranging any inspections at the rellivent stages not the builder although the builder may sort these points out for you

If as some do you just take out a door then the conservatory changes from a temporary structure not subject to planning regs to a permanent structure that does. If you don't clear these issues the house may be unsalable.

Conservatorys cost a fortune to heat in winter and are hot in Summer - consider what this will do to your heating bills and the usability of the conservatory in summer. e.g. our conservatory costs as much to heat as the rest of the house - so we only heat it on odd days with electric heaters and I have seen it over 40 degrees C in summer.

Only real option is to demolish and rebuild as a proper extension.

If as some do you just take out a door then the conservatory changes from a temporary structure not subject to planning regs to a permanent structure that does.

I think you mean it changes from a structure that's exempt from Building Regulations to one that isn't. Nothing to do with Planning.

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back