Air bricks and a conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I'm building a conservatory right across the back of a detached house that has a block and beam floor. There are 4 air bricks that I will extend under the conservatory floor to the outside. Can I extend the air bricks to either side (ie 2 in each side wall of the conservatory) or will they have to be in the rear wall of the conservatory?

We are having a raised area at the rear which will make it awkward to fit the air bricks at the rear.

Thanks

Jay

Sponsored Links
Anyone?

All the airbbricks will be extended, they will just vent out of the sides rather than to the rear of to property. Thinking that all parts of the floor will still have ventilation so shouldn't get stale air??

No problem, that will be ok. You're only extending what's already there.

Sponsored Links
:rolleyes: I don't think that's what the OP is on about.

Thanks for the replies.

The main problem is that the builders have laid the slab without putting the vent pipes in so they will have to go in the 75mm insulation and under the screed, which isn't ideal but it's all I can do. The rear wall the conservatory is single skin as we have doors all the way across so I don't have the thickness to fit a telescopic type vent.

The builder has fitted 2 air bricks to either side dwarf wall and left a brick out on the inner wall so I was going to run the pipes to these, only difference is that I will be relocating airbbricks from rear of property to the sides - also no trunking fitted in the cavity :(

It's annoying as I usually do/manage things myself but paid a company to do it all to avoid any hassle and it's been nothing but!!

If you vent to the front and one side rather than provide through ventilation, the risk is that you will have a small triangle area of still air.

If you put air bricks on both sides of the house, and front, then you should be providing through ventilation, if I understand you correctly your dwarf walls may restrict this unless they have adequate openings along their length..

If in doubt you can always add more air bricks (more ventilation is always better for the timber), though if the floor is uninsulated you will notice more droughts and cold getting into the house.

If you vent to the front and one side rather than provide through ventilation, the risk is that you will have a small triangle area of still air.

If you put air bricks on both sides of the house, and front, then you should be providing through ventilation, if I understand you correctly your dwarf walls may restrict this unless they have adequate openings along their length..

If in doubt you can always add more air bricks (more ventilation is always better for the timber), though if the floor is uninsulated you will notice more droughts and cold getting into the house.
The guy is talking about continuing existing vents through his new conservatory floor. The existing floor is not timber either....
Hello

I'm building a conservatory right across the back of a detached house that has a block and beam floor.

Yeah sorry, block and beam floor so requires airbricks - not as important as wooden floors I undrstand but still needed.

I've extended all the airbricks to the outside, I've gone 2 pipes diagonally to both sides of the new conservatory (4 in tot) as that's where the builder put the airbricks. I haven't blocked any airbricks so the house still has the intended ventilation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back