Airbrick issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in a 1990s build. The house had a conservatory added. The base is concrete and has a tiled floor. There is no thermal insulation. The rear haose air brick vents directly into the conservatory. It is not blocked as above conservatory floor. Is it acceptable for it to vent into conservatory?

Sponsored Links
Not really, it's supposed to have a free flow of outside air in order to keep your subfloor dry and free from rot. However conservatory builders who compete on price won't always worry about that kind of thing.

Thanks....the house base is concrete...a local builder said there are no wooden floor joists. He did some work on a neighbouring property.Does that make any difference?

Thankyou. Apparantly the subfloor is all concrete under the house with no wooden joists. A local builder told us this. He said jyst not to block the airbrick. We asked about blocking it and placing another one furter along outside the adjoining conservatory wall. He advised against this. Have you any advice on this?

Sponsored Links
In that case without knowing the purpose I'm not sure. Is it connects to anything on the other side? Any gas fire in the room?

No There is an airbrick at the front of the house. The gas fire is in the room at the front. There is no fire in the room at the back which is looking onto the conservatory.

The other airbricks to front and rear of house are all clear. The sides of the house have no airbricks. The only thing we notice with the airbrick venting into the conservatory is that sometimes the tiled floor below it gets wet..like pooling condensation..but not all the time.

I think the builder used the term block and beam..?...but did say was concrete..A surveyors report 15 years ago simply mentions there being 3 airbricks front and rear. He made no comment about there being one venting into the conservatory at the time. Just that hed like to have seen sides of house with airbricks too

Last edited:
When you say air brick is it very narrow? If do it's probably a weep vent to let out moisture that collects in the cavity wall.
If you have a beam and block floor it does need ventilation though, so it could be from that. Is it how far above or below the internal floor level? Photos would help.

Its a full brick size airbrick. Air bricks are on 2nd brick row from bottom of ground. The one in conservatory just hapoens to sit above level of conservatiry tile floor base so isnt at all covered by flooring.. which means it isnt blocked off at least. It is 2nd brick level below house floor. Airbricks are all above damp course yes. Struggling to add photo. Conservatoty was added after original build. Surveyor mentions 3 airbricks front and back when there are actually the 4 front and back.

Last edited:
I think above concrete house base is wooden joists that house floor sits on..in simlpe laymans terms!

I thought it was beam and block not timber!
too much confusing information, we need photos .. but failing that I don't think you need to worry too much

No idea what beam and block is other tgan its a concrete base to it according to local builder...

Feel better if you say no worries. Just dont see how airbrick will aid ventiilation if its into conservatory and not outside. Thanks for your input..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back