Kitchen cabinet hiding gas and electricity

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
We bought a very old bungalow.
The previous owners have installed in 2004 a new kitchen which looks quite nice, solid doors, granite worktop, ... the problem is that it has been installed without any preparation/cleaning of the old kitchen.
This is what we can see when we open the cupboard behind which we find the electricity, the gas and a few days ago the water main: see photos.
Apart from the mess, there is no flooring there, only a hole. We don't want to redo the kitchen now only to clean up that mess. My question is how to block that hole considering all the pipes and electric cables that run there. Is there an easier way than to try to put floor boards there?

Thanks.

Letty

Attachments

• Kitchen1.jpg
    Kitchen1.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 2,317
  • Kitchen2.jpg
    Kitchen2.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 775
  • Kitchen3.jpg
    Kitchen3.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 626
Sponsored Links
In our kitchen we had a mess, but not as bad as yours as it was only from pipework running of in all different directions. What I did was to put a "fake" cupboard in front of it. Using materials from a spare base unit and a batten, I installed the backboard in front of the pipework held up by removable clip. While the mess and the holes are still there, at least you can't see them when opening the cupboard.
You could perhaps do something similar, but want to ensure that you can still quickly access the gas valve.

The mortgage surveyor would surely have seen and reported the situation in the unit?
Were the gas and electric tested and certified when you bought the property?

I dont see water although a horizontal pipe is just visible running in ground contact?
Where is your internal water shut-off? Have you located your external shut-off? Have you operated them both?
There's an hanging loose elec device that seems to be in earth contact.
Is the consumer unit higher above the work top?
Probe all the wood work esp. the joists in that area. Look for rot.

You could insert a floor/cover of sorts but that "cupboard" should not be used for any storage or other purpose.

Sponsored Links
not much you can do apart from putting a board/ ply floor in at floor level. any faulse panel would need to be removable for emergency access to the gas cock and cut out.

Snnoop; I think there is a door, but has been removed to photograph.

OP Wetty: What sort of answer do you expect? There are several technical issues: Wire to gas clearance / labeling/ bonding / governor seal (depending on gas region).
But as far as filling the hole is concerned, what could be easier than boarding?,Or poring cement on hole but beware bonding below floor level, and wrapping pipe

Put some celotex in the floor, scribed to fit, put a backboard on magnet catches in front of it all and put the door back on!

I don't really understand what you envisage the problem is.

OK it looks a mess and some clearances to the gas are not met.

But why would you want to block off at floor level?

It also looks a bit damp and leaving it open will aid drying.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back