Kitchen Ceiling Spot Lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Imagine a long U shaped kitchen. I want to put some chrome spotlights in a rectangle shape in the ceiling. How far do people put them from the side walls ? The units are standard 600mm wide and I will have some wall units. I have friends who have them and they moan about the bulbs going all the time and a pain to replace. I'd prefer low voltage lighting so can anyone reccomend a decent brand specifically for a kitchen with insulation and loft space above.

Sponsored Links
Mine are 800mm from the walls, its very important to get the spacing correct with downlighters so cut out a peice of paper as a scale model of your ceiling, experiment with positions on that, also don't forget the position of your joists and any utilities that may allready be up there.

GU 5.4 12v Extra Low voltage halogens tend to have better life than mains GU10 bulbs (like your freinds probably have) as most transformers include a 'soft start' features which does not supply full power to the bulb straight away and ramps it up to full within half a second or so.

As for fire rated units, Click FlameGuard lights seem to be the business.

Edit: nearly forgot, you'll need the insulation support box too. (I've seen ceramic flower pots used in lofts too, which i cant see any real problem with.)

I've done a quick search and not seen any GU 5.4 12v halogens anywhere. Do you know where I can get some from?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back