Spot Lights on Wooden Ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

Yesterday I replaced 2 standard pendant lights in my kitchen with 2 x spot light clusters. Each cluster has 2 lights mounted on a cylindrical chrome base messuring about 15 cms in diameter and 3 cm deep. The halogen bulbs in the lights are 240v and generate a lot of heat so much so that after 30 mins it's not possible to touch the bases.

The thing is that these lights are mounted on a pine clad ceiling which in turn gets fairly hot. This makes me a bit uneasy and I wondered if putting this type of light on a wood ceiling is a big no no due to fire risk.

Thanks in advance.
Bob

Sponsored Links
have a look for the F mark on the lights, if not, phone the company that make them and ask their advice about mounting on a combustable surface

Amazing what you learn on t'internet - thanks. I never new what that F mark meant until today. Just taken the base off and there is indeed an F mark inside. Big sigh of relief - fire of London avoided.

I just remembered the second question I forgot to ask on the original post.

There were no roses on this ceiling and one of the pendant flexes was so short I couldn't connect up into the light fitting. So I used a chock-block and a 10cm section of the same size flex to extend and connect into the light fitting. Is this dodgy ?

Sponsored Links
I know I`m an old git but I remember when strip connectors were at least a foot inside diameter to carry one amp, they all seem smaller now.
Joking aside - providing you use a 15Amp strip connector, make sure all connections are tight and fill the hole with conductor (twist/double) then you`ll probably be OK

I come from an era when if you were gay then this meant you were happy - nothing else

Yes, if you imagine a circular hole (the strip connector) and the cable inside it (the conductor) then a good joint is made if the conductor is the same size as the hole (it just fits) so it is touching and all around the hole am making a good connection along the whole of it`s surface area.
Well that`s the ideal but it can`t be acheived.
So we double/twist etc to make it bigger and nearly fit so that more surface area is in contact.
Actually only twist flexes (or stranded) not solid conductor just double it.
Hope that explains

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back