Wiring for bathroom lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

i'd like some advice on compliance with wiring regs for bathroom lighting circuit (and fan).
For starters, I looked at this topic:
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=245116#245116
which basically quotes a part of the regs. I was wondering if the bathroom falls under "special location".

Basically I am replacing the lighting and the whole ceiling of my bathroom. It's a sloping roof, going from fairly high to fairly low. The bath is in the fairly high part, which is between 2 and 2,5 m high (I recon 2.3m, but it's sloping, so probably going from 2,5 to 2.1 m over the length of the bath I think).
Now, the original ceiling was tongue-in-groove and started to fall apart. The lighting in there was 12V halogens that were not rated for any of the zones.
What I have so far done, is remove the ceiling and lighting.
I plan to put correct zone rated lights at correct distances:
2 zone-3 recessed spots 1.1m above the basin (which should take it up to about 2.1m from floor level), about 0.6 m away from the end of the bath (could be slightly less).
1 zone-3 ceiling mounted halogen light about 1,5 m away from the bath
1 zone-1 rated halogen spot above the bath (2.2m from floor level I think).
1 fan about 40 cm next to the bath, ceiling mounted and about 2.2m above ground level
The halogens are all 240V rated.
The wiring of the zone-3 lighting is running only in zone-3 areas above the ceiling.
The zone-1 light is running in zone-1 above the ceiling, but passes half a meter through (what is technically) a zone-3 area (but above the ceiling).
All lighting is connected to the lighting circuit of the whole house.
The fan is a timer fan and is also connected to the lighting circuit (I followed the instructions, which said this was ok and no fuse was required if it was on a lighting circuit).
All the lights and the fan are connected to a light switch, which is then connected to the main lighting circuit via a double pole pull cord switch. Both switches are mounted outside the bathroom.
In addition, most of the lighting wiring is passing through a hollow partition wall above the ceiling (except for the zone-1 light, who's wiring runs through the ceiling at a height of probably 2.3 or 2.4 meters above floor level).

The original ceiling I removed completely, even it's supporting structure because it was crap. I use the structure of the roof to fit the new ceiling, which is basically plaster boards.

Before I start plastering the ceiling and walls, I'd like to know if I would need to have the wiring inspected/certified by a certified technician?
From the link I just provided I kind of get the impression that my work falls under that part, but I want to know absolutely sure.
Would I need to hire someone to inspect my work so I won't get into problems when I want to sell my house later on?

Sponsored Links
Sorry, havent got time to read all of that. i contribute in my own time to this forum and your post will take half hour to read and longer to respond to each point.

Brief headline points though:

Yes, bathrooms are a special location and you must notify -before work starts - if you are DIYing (then LABC will inspect & test as part of their rip off fee).
Or you can use a registyered spark to do the work and notification for you.

Once you have made the decision, please just ask one question at a time - you'll never get answers the way you posted it.

it is only one question TTC...

he just goes into graphic detail about what he's already done or is planning to do once the plasterboard goes on..

it's too late to notify before he starst since he's already started..

you can (and should ) notify now and explain that you didn't know about Part P untill you asked a question and got told of it.. as long as you havent covered up the wiring routes yet they might be satisfied to come out and inspect the first fix...

in order to "future proof" your install to the upcomming new version of the regs, I would put the lighting and fan from a fused spur off the ring main ( 5A should be plenty.. ) .... this gives it RCD protection providing the ring main has it already..

don't forget supplimentary bonding..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back