Replacing ceiling spot lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have kitchen spot lights that are flush into the ceiling with a silver (modern) trim.

However we have the bulbs (after 2 have just blown) and as they are flush, I wanted to know how to remove these??

The bulbs just have 2 pins on the end

I will try and attach a picture..

Actually does this need a little Rubber suction thingy to remove these? Do these come with the lights? or are they purchasable from DIY stores?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You do need that "little rubber suction thingy" that is what they are for , so you don't get greasy finger marks on the "bulb" and shorten it's already brief life.

You do need that "little rubber suction thingy" that is what they are for , so you don't get greasy finger marks on the "bulb" and shorten it's already brief life.

Eh, I don't understand that statement. :?:

The hot glowy thing (aka the halogen bulb) is the bit you should not get your fingers on. Luckily, the makers of GU10 and MR16 lamps have kindly placed the nasty hot thing inside a second protective glass enclosure. So no problems with chip fat fingers.

Next question for the OP. What sort of lamp are these? 230volt or 12volt.

Note to BAS :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
The lamps may have a metal retaining clip under them - this needs squeezing with pliers (dont worry you wont smash the lamp, the glass is strong) and removing, then the lamp will fall down supported by its wire.

Many dont have retaining rings though, and just pull out. mains voltage ones need a twist though, similar to bayonet fittings.

I'm neither a fan nor a foe of recessed lighting - I'm just stating the facts about the kind of life you can expect from the bulbs.

Recessed halogen light fittings certainly throw out a lot of light. However they also use a lot of power which is at odds with the current move towards low energy lighting. They are a choice of style over economy, particularly in summer - In winter you get some benefit from all the heat they emit ! .:cool:

I'm just stating the facts about the kind of life you can expect from the bulbs.
Maybe in your experience, but my experience is quite different; Out of the 20 in this house, 19 are the originals from when it was renovated coming up to 3 years ago. The one that did go, didn't trip the breaker or RCD. Quality lamps and fittings installed with the recommended space seems to work.*
In comparison, during the same time period I've had to replace 2 megaman, 1 philips genie and 1 generic energy saving CFL's at 5 times the cost.

Edit: * the majority are for accent/feature lighting, so are on for a good percentage of the evening, not constantly switched on/off - although all our switches are softstart. The rest are in a long hallway which is only on for maybe ~15mins at a time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back