Kitchen chimney has no pots. Damp showing through new plaster?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I originally posted this in the plastering forum though feel it more appropriate here. I had my kitchen re-skimmed after stripping the wallpaper and the old paint on the original plaster. All the plaster is bone dry except for where the old dis-used flu chimney meets the ceiling.

There has been much rain lately and we determined on the plastering thread that water must be getting into the chimney or the lead seal.

Just wondering what people on here think based on these pictures? I can see two bases for chimney pots though have no idea if they are just open or may be filled in with concrete? Does the lead seal look ok from these images?

Also I'm not sure if this cracked tile could be causing the damp patch on the ceiling area near the chimney? cheers

chimney_seal.JPG
chimney_top.JPG
IMG_1068.JPG
crack.jpg

Sponsored Links
the damaged tile will obviously let water in.
The chimney back gutter (rear "seal") looks like it has been repaired in the past.
Was this just a skim over the original contaminated plaster?
a couple of cowls would be good idea along with close inspection of the chimney head.
There appears to be a lump of render fallen off.

Hey datarebal, good observations! I didnt realise the foil looking repair job. Must have had damp issues in the past. I thought that was a bit of old plasterboard though you could be right it might be a bit of the render. Will have another look when its less windy ;)
Yeah someone else suggested getting some cowls on the chimney. Do the cowls need chimney pots or can they go straight on top of those two chimney pot base things?

chimney4.JPG

Sponsored Links
There looks like a lead overlap just below the bottom of the damaged tile , if that extends to the top of the tile it may not leak from there?
litl

Ah yes I see what you mean, so lead may be underneath the broken tile? Unfortunately these dutch tiles are hard to find, so every time they need to replace one they have to remove it from somewhere else on the roof.

if the piece of inserted lead extends past the tile break then it might not be a problem.
but regardless the back gutter needs replacing.
you could swap the damaged tile with a tile that easy to get at, and change when you have replacements. i have feeling they are available in reclamation as not that rare.
cowls, you can get one that clamps on internally you wont need a pot.

Ok cheers datarebal. I found some tiles on ebay though its up to building management if they want to purchase them. Good to know I dont need a chimney put in as that would cost too much. They're now sending a guy in to inspect it so it will be interesting to see what he finds up there.

I would say its time that roof was replaced and knock
of that chimney if its not needed anymore.

Yeah that would be ideal. It's in a right state. Though there are about 6 buildings on site and the cost would be huge. So patch and repair is the only option for now.

Ok so had this looked at whilst I was away. The guy replaced the broken tile which looked like it was definitely letting water in. Some of the render had fallen off some time ago and must have cracked the tile. He said the felt under the tile (into loft) was pretty damp. Could this broken tile have been the sole cause of the chimney damp? Maybe the wet felt touching the chimney in the loft soaked through the bricks. Or do you still think it is the open pots at the top of the chimney? He didn't seem to think them not having cowls was the issue.

2018-01-10 12.13.22.jpg
2018-01-10 12.13.25.jpg

Check to make sure the chimney pots are ventedm and there's a vent lower down the chimney breast. Hopefully the roofers found the issues, but without proper ventilation, you'll still get issues at some stage.

there is also damage to the lead back gutter along side the fallen render.
it looks possible squirrel damage rather than etching.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back