Kitchen Chipboard subfloor levelling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am about to lay a 12mm laminate floor in a kitchen area over an existing chipboard subfloor. I have noticed some uneven areas of floor that I think will cause issues with the floor install - a few dips/waves that would lead to bouncing unsupported areas of the laminate.

I'm considering using some Mapei Ultraplan 3240 fibre-reienforced Self Levelling Compound to try and sort out the dips, which I think will mean I'll end up with about 20% of the chipboard subfloor covered with the Maipai. Couple of questions:

1) if the Mapei gives me (effectively) a form of concrete finish under the floor, does this mean I need any kind of DPM? The laminate only requires this for concrete floors so I wouldn't have needed one if just laying down on the chipboard. (As the SLC will only be in patches and only 6mm deep maximum, and not covering the whole floor).

2) As a compromise - would using an underlay with a built in vapour barrier be effective enough to deal with these patches? (I was using Acoustalay 250 but could change this to Acoustalay 300 which adds the vapour barrier)

3) As this is for only one job and I'm probably mixing smaller amounts of the SLC, is it possible to do by hand or will this compromise the mix? I know time is a factor with the speed that the SLC goes off so happy to buy a mixing blade just don't like having tools go to waste for one job!

Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back