Kitchen Cupboards: Which screws for "ultimate" raw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am mid-kitchen refit and about to do the full height wall cupboards. They will be heavy so want a really solid fixing. I suspect something like this will be in order (but please advise if not!).

http://www.screwfix.com/p/fischer-high-performance-universal-plugs-ux8-4-5-6-x-60mm-pieces/20669

My question is, how do I know which "type" of screw to use? I can work out length and gauge/shank size but what I mean is what are they called?! There are a bewildering array of screws out there and I suspect I've gotten away with casual use of the wrong screw type in the past. I don't want this fixing to fail though!

many thanks

Paul

Sponsored Links
What is the wall made of?

Are you intending to use adjustable hangers?

What height is full height? Floor to ceiling?

What is the wall made of?

Are you intending to use adjustable hangers?

What height is full height? Floor to ceiling?

Hi there

breeze block construction

Yes to adjustable hangers

Heights of the units are 900mm

Cheers

if you are using hangers, I strongly recommend Hanging Rail by Hafele, Blum and others. It comes in 2 or 3 metre lengths. As it has lots of screw-holes you can fasten it to the wall at frequent intervals. If there happens to be a mortar joint or cable where you want a screw, just put one in a few inches aside.

You can fix the rail and then lift up your cabs to hook on. You can move them sideways if you decide to change the position.

I would use 50mm screws.

http://www.hafele.co.uk/shop/c/cabinet-fittings/cabinet-hanging-brackets/9781

You can paint it to match the wall but it will be above eye level and probably out of sight behind the cabs.

Sponsored Links
if you are using hangers, I strongly recommend Hanging Rail by Hafele, Blum and others. It comes in 2 or 3 metre lengths. As it has lots of screw-holes you can fasten it to the wall at frequent intervals. If there happens to be a mortar joint or cable where you want a screw, just put one in a few inches aside.

You can fix the rail and then lift up your cabs to hook on. You can move them sideways if you decide to change the position.

I would use 50mm screws.

http://www.hafele.co.uk/shop/c/cabinet-fittings/cabinet-hanging-brackets/9781

You can paint it to match the wall but it will be above eye level and probably out of sight behind the cabs.

Cheers for that. That looks very handy. The hangers are the adjustable concealed ones towards the right in that webpage.

Sorry to ask but 50mm screws of which type? I will use the fancy "ultimate" type plugs but I'm not 100% sure what type of screw I need to use in the plug?

if you mean foamed blocks, they are relatively soft. I would probably use a no. 10 screw, which is 5mm, rather than a no. 8 which is 4mm. The plug will say what size screws it will accommodate.

Round-headed screws grip those (quite large) holes in the rail better than countersunk, which IMO try to pull through.

When you have drilled the holes, and sucked out loose dust with your vac, if the plug is not a snug fit, inject a little no-more-nails or own-brand equivalent into the back of the hole, so that when you press in the plasplug, slightly below the surface of the plaster, it squeezes up and surrounds the plug, taking up any slack. The next day, when it has set, you can drive the screws and they will have an excellent grip. You don't want plugs that can turn or shift in the wall.

As you say, these cabinets can be very heavy when filled with crockery, tins or bottles, so I like to be generous with the fixing. I have similar, and they haven't shifted an atom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back