Plugs/screws for 20mm plaster over aerated concrete block

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having a problem, fixing a batten a wall to then hang some heavy wall cupboards.

I tested a section of the wall which will be hidden, and it's approx 20mm of plaster over aerated concrete block (possible aircrete?). It's a 90s house, there is obviously a cavity and normal brick past the concrete block, just in case that's important!

Clearly I couldn't hang heavy cupboards on plaster, so I thought it'd be best to find a long set of plugs/screws, drill through the plaster and well into the concrete block to ensure a solid fixing.

Couldn't find any normal wallplugs that were long enough so finally found some overpriced "frame fixings" from Wickes, 100mm long requiring a 7mm masonry drill:
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Universal-Frame-Fixings-8x100mm-PK4/p/190042

Theyt are slightly different to the picture, more like normal wall plugs, but longer, with the usual lugs and fairly hefty screws which appeared to expand the plug well. I wrongly thought would give a good fix.

I'm sure you can guess the next bit.

Drilled the correct sized and depth carefully, the concrete block is like butter even on slow speed (obviously no hammer action!), tapped in the plug, started to screw up the batten, 1/4 way in the plug starts spinning, and the hole is getting bigger. Zero chance of a solid fixing.

It's obviously the crumbly aerated block, and now I wish I hadn't followed the instructions and drilled a far smaller hole, but there you go.

I've looked at this thread btw, but want to check advice (as this got a bit ranty!):
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=238873&start=30

Managed to remove the plugs, which are now mangled. However no damage to plaster, but I suspect the hole in the concrete is quite a bit larger. What's the best advice, try to pack out with something first, or try some sort of fixing glue? Issue it it's a 100mm deep hole.

(As I have 2 similar battens to put up, what would be the best approach for the next one too, advice on plugs/hole size etc, needs to be heavy duty, two heavy will hang cupboards from the battens.)

Thanks all, and Happy Easter!

Sponsored Links
Plugs must be the screw in type.
FISCHER FTP K8 TURBO AIRCRETE, CELCON, THERMALITE ANCHOR FIXINGS

Plugs must be the screw in type.
FISCHER FTP K8 TURBO AIRCRETE, CELCON, THERMALITE ANCHOR FIXINGS

Thanks foxhole, so for the current one I've drilled, I'm now thinking of going all the way through the brick and using some sort of expanding bolt anchor, any thoughts / opinions?

You can screw cabinets to 'hollow' plasterboard no problem.

I reckon it's over the top to try to go through to the concrete block, and you may have a range of difficulties including damaging the plasterboard by squeezing it towards the blocks.

The trick is, you need to distribute the load over a wide area, such that in order for the cabinets to come off they would have to take the entire plasterboard wall with them.

This may involve screwing a timber batt to the wall all along the cabinet run, for example. If you don't expect to remove it, cover the back of it in building adhesive too. If you can get one on both top and bottom of the cabinets they will be virtually indestructible.

I'm not a fan of the new fangled adjustable plastic widgets the big sheds want you to use for hanging kitchen cabinets, the old way of a cleat system was far more secure in my opinion.

Sponsored Links
You can screw cabinets to 'hollow' plasterboard no problem.

I reckon it's over the top to try to go through to the concrete block, and you may have a range of difficulties including damaging the plasterboard by squeezing it towards the blocks.

Sadly it's just a skim of plain old plaster (although 20mm deep) over v crumbly concrete block, not plasterboard... I'd have been happy with plasterboard finding a couple of joists and hanging a batten from them!

Going to try and set some bolts into the holes with some Fischer polyester resin next...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back