Best plug and screw combination for shower door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So the shower door has broken and am looking to fit another one above the bath. It's a tiled bathroom so I know I need a tile drill bit but behind the tile there is plasterboard wall.

So my question is that plug and screw would be best?

Now I have drilled into plasterboard before and used some plugs and screws but these have been light items and don't think they would work for a heavy shower door.

Any advice folks? Thanks

Sponsored Links
So the shower door has broken and am looking to fit another one above the bath. It's a tiled bathroom so I know I need a tile drill bit but behind the tile there is plasterboard wall.

So my question is that plug and screw would be best?

Now I have drilled into plasterboard before and used some plugs and screws but these have been light items and don't think they would work for a heavy shower door.

Any advice folks? Thanks

Where it was already fixed, was there any timber pattress or baton? Stud? Is it definitely just PB?

Where it was already fixed, was there any timber pattress or baton? Stud? Is it definitely just PB?
I will try removing the old fixing and have a look about to see.. I suspect it's just plasterboard though. I was looking at blue rawl plugs on screwfix which look pretty sturdy and it says can be used on hollow and plasterboard walls.. what's your thoughts?

I will try removing the old fixing and have a look about to see.. I suspect it's just plasterboard though. I was looking at blue rawl plugs on screwfix which look pretty sturdy and it says can be used on hollow and plasterboard walls.. what's your thoughts?

Anything baring weight will have to be fairly robust without any backing. The rawl plugs generally speaking won't carry any significant load.

This video might help you a bit more.

Sponsored Links
If the surface is tiled then it significantly improves wall strength , general purpose plugs should be all that’s required.

If the surface is tiled then it significantly improves wall strength , general purpose plugs should be all that’s required.

It's not the strength of the wall that I'm putting into question but the fixing itself. General purpose plugs are great for "general purpose" items. The further away from the wall the load goes the greater the force outward and downward is applied.

It wouldn't be on the wall but the fixing itself; there's every possibility it would just get pulled out.

I run the silicon up the middle of the profile and seal up on the outside once attached. If drilling through tiles 5.5mm drill bit without hammer action will get you through the tile (hopefully depending on tile material) and use a red wall plug. Before attaching silicon middle of profile then screw to wall if this makes sense
Regards david

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back