Can I use drill for this task?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, so I want to drill into a metal door, after having a look at various screws I have found hex head self dril steel screws. Now I have a drill and have just got use to drilling to plasterboard and masonary. My question is can I use some sort of attachment to use the drill to fit these screws? Or do I need an impact driver? Thanks for any input

Sponsored Links
Centre punch where you want the screw to be.....these screws have a drill bit machined into their head and they work well enough on thin sheet material ( maybe up to 2mm thick) cutting their own pilot hole.
If there's an issue, drill a pilot hole first of a smaller diameter.
Don't use an impact driver.....plenty of pressure and low speed is what you need, including of course a driver bit to hold the hexagon head.
John :)

not enough information really
bank vault door
garage door
clothes locker
type off metal
thickness
and what your fixing

Centre punch where you want the screw to be.....these screws have a drill bit machined into their head and they work well enough on thin sheet material ( maybe up to 2mm thick) cutting their own pilot hole.
If there's an issue, drill a pilot hole first of a smaller diameter.
Don't use an impact driver.....plenty of pressure and low speed is what you need, including of course a driver bit to hold the hexagon head.

Hi, thanks for your reply. I am struggling to find a driver bit that will fit my drill that has a hexagon at its end. Every time I search it shows me bits for a impact driver. Any chance you could show me a link or advise what it is called so I can type it in google. Thanks

Sponsored Links
not enough information really
bank vault door
garage door
clothes locker
type off metal
thickness
and what your fixing

So it's the front door of the house. Want to fit a chain. Will post a pic which may help in morning. Thanks

ok front door with metal i assume clad with perhaps plastic cladding ??
with metal sheets on a wooden core
is this a house door or a commercial premises ??

If you are stuck, drill a pilot hole and use a 1/4" drive socket to screw in the hex. I use a similar adapter from a 1/4" set that fits in my drill too.

I pretty much h always pilot drill first. Yes, the screws are self-driling but experience tells me that if you depend on that you are going to be slower, you'll break more screws and in the case of the countersunk head jobbies (like some that Hilti sell) you'll round out more head recesses. Don't try to drill or drive at too high a speed - this is more of a torque than a speed operation - and don't push like crazy - steady pressure is far better and results in less broken twist drills and screws. In terms of bits even Toolstation sell 7mm sockets - they are designed for self-driling TEK screw. Alternatively buy a 1/4in hex drive to 1/2 in square drive adaptor from Screwfix and just use a standard manual socket - after all it's only a one off.

if it's a typical metalclad house door, the steel skin is rather thin, so your screws will mostly be driven into the core (probably an engineered wood, might be a composite or even plastic foam) so I would drill through the skin first, big enough to take the shank, then a pilot hole into the core, unless it turns out to be unsuitable. Putting a self-tapper into sheet steel will leave an irregular dent or pimple in the steel.

There are also a few Aluminium doors around, likely to be hollow or foam-filled.

The manufacturer's sales literature will probably tell you how the door is constructed.

Thanks for all your replies folks- big all sorry for not posting pics or getting back to you with the additional info or pics. Had a hectic couple days trying to sort stuff out before leaving for a holiday down south for a couple weeks which is where I am at now. Weather in Scotland was better have to say :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back